Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2020

Fuji's Touch of Zen

It's a rainy Sunday afternoon. I'm listening to peaceful ambient music without a care in the world today. Life is happening everywhere but right here, right now - there is peace in my home. It's a rare moment when life isn't calm here. I am blessed and fortunate. 

I don't subscribe to a specific belief system but prefer to say I'm spiritual: living with gratitude in the present moment and treating others as I would want to be treated. Fuji shared a card on his blog this summer which caught my eye with its touch of Zen; the ying and yang.  I commented of my desire to search the ends of earth for a copy. He made it so much easier for me. I only had to walk to the mailbox. Live in the flow and let life come to you. No, I am not high. Week upon week, your judgements continue. LOL.

Zen is not a belief system. If you are curious, check out this page.  No matter your beliefs or lack thereof, zen meditation can be part of any daily practice. The page link contains this snippet:

So, again, what is Zen? Stop now. Stop trying to get an intellectual lock on something that is vast and boundless, far more than the rational mind can grasp. Just breathe in with full awareness. Taste the breath. Appreciate it fully. Now breathe out, slowly, with equal appreciation. Give it all away; hold onto nothing. Breathe in with gratitude; breathe out with love. Receiving and offering—this is what we are doing each time we inhale and exhale. To do so with conscious awareness, on a regular basis, is the transformative practice we call Zen. 


The back of the card may be of interest to my science nerd pals.  'Nerd' is always a compliment in my book. So what did Sanchez do to merit his appearance on this card? All the zeros on the board behind his levitating image tell us he threw a no-hitter, one of only three Puerto Rican players to do so. The others were John Candelaria and Juan Nieves. This card examines the elasticity of a baseball. Only one bat came into contact with balls thrown during Jonathan's no-no, a long fly ball to deep center-field in the ninth inning. Also, the Exploratorium is in San Francisco which means the 'no Dodgers'  rule comes into play.  That is a rule, yes? 

This card is quirky and fits perfectly into my collection. Thanks for the surprise, Fuji!!

*****************************************

Round Five voting is complete. Twenty-three votes with the winner taking thirteen of them. This means ten of you appreciated the 1986 Sportflics Rookies offered. It seems quantity won this election by a small margin. The Topps Traded sets go into the ballot box.  Round six will be up in a few days with a battle of baseball sets. 

Round Five winner

I hope you're enjoying these voting opportunities half as much as I am in offering them to you. It's fun to read your individual choices with reasons for your selections. If any of you are curious as to how I'm tracking your votes, here's a spreadsheet snippet:



Bo is leading the mail-in balloting! Winning candidates are highlighted in green. Votes are tabulated with auto-sum and highlighted in yellow:




After the final round, each voter's total number of votes will be auto-summed.  This number will be used to determine how many times the voter's name is entered into the Randomizer.  I am grateful for the copy/paste function! 

We've had 39 different voters so far. Two of these are foreign interference regulars. What's an election without it?  I'm not an excel guru so this format works well for me. Keepin' it simple! 

Thank you for supporting this blog. We have a month to go!!

30 comments:

  1. Nice to see the voters use some common sense for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if voters started using common zense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good system, probably about what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Post its weren't gonna work this time!

      Delete
  4. Very cool card! And Fuji’s a very cool guy. I hope I didn’t miss a vote post. I’m not doing much card mailings these days so that part is bad timing but no big deal it’s good to just be part of a unique contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've missed out on three so far. There are still a couple more coming, trying for three. Glad to see you participating and making the blog rounds. :)

      Delete
  5. That card, this post, is why I love reading your blog.

    The zeros remind me of the 2012 Topps SP card of JV holding up the two baseballs with a "O" on each ball for his 2 no-hitters. I hope they come up with a way to make another one after his 3rd no-hitter last year w/ the Astros.

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. That's quite kind. That particular JV is a favorite of mine. I hope he still has a couple of good years left in his arm after surgery.

      Delete
  6. I never miss a Fuji post, and yet I don't recall ever seeing this card before? Funny how that works sometimes. Neat card though, and it was good of Fuji to send it to you, especially since earth scouring isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take your word on earth travels. I keep hoping for Jetsons' type transportation in my lifetime but don't see it happening.

      Delete
  7. There is peace in my home? That's so awesome. I'm so jealous... but really happy for you. By the way... if you ever make it out to the Bay Area, try to hit the Exploratorium. It's fantastic. I haven't been there in years, but I loved going there when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Just proofread my comment. I meant to say... there is peace in your home? Lol. I wish there was peace in my home right now.

      Delete
    2. My kids have been to the new location. I have not. I miss the field trips out to the Palace of Fine Arts even though I'm not sure we learned anything.

      Delete
    3. I keep my life fairly simple, a pretty basic gal. I'd like to start by just making it to California once. Always wanted to cruise the Pacific Coast highway. Any museum would be a bonus but come after Ballparks.

      Delete
  8. The closest I get to Zen is the song "Everything Zen" by Bush....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out the lyrics. Not something I would listen too but gotta say - I don't believe Elvis is dead. LOL!

      Delete
  9. The back of that Sanchez card says, "When the baseball returns to its spherical shape, a great deal of energy is lost as heat, sound, and bat vibrations."

    So Ted Williams was spot on when he said that sometimes he'd smell the burn of the wooden bat when he fouled off a good fastball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Physics are mind-boggling to me at times. When connected to baseball, my interest peaks. I can believe Ted, if his sense of smell was anything like his eyesight.

      Delete
  10. Well I learned something new today - thanks!
    Oh and I'm not done trying to fix this election yet . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find limiting my internet time keeps me calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Pop! I don't turn on the tv often either. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. oh, my spreadsheet? I pretend to know my way around excel. lol.

      Delete