Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2020

A Nacho Break!

During this year without baseball, one thing I missed were the concessions. I always have a hot dog of course but on occasion, share nachos with my game pal. I'm pretty basic. Give me lots of hot cheese and jalapenos. So when it comes to a nachos grande, you can count me out. Unless you are Nacho man Chris, whose blog is Grande! In this case, I'll have seconds!

Chris keeps a trade stack, adding a card at a time. The whole stack is up for grabs in return for one singular piece of cardboard from his want list. In all the years I've watched stacks come and go, I've yet to claim one. What card finally caught my eye?

You should know it was not the Jeter. I saw the Kendall and lost my mind. What a shiny, colorful, in-your-face card! I dug til I found a card for him, and dug quickly. Though the stack was only two cards deep, I knew it would go fast. Why no one claimed the Jeter, I can't say. This was a perfect little trade.

If you follow the Nachos Grande blog, you know about his affordable group breaks. I've enjoyed a couple myself recently with three box breaks of Stadium Club and one box of Diamond Kings.  My DK spot netted one of the two 'hits' in the box:


Willi's only 23. The shortstop had 129 MLB at bats this year. His season stats: .349 with 6 homers and 24 rbi. He appears promising but he's a Tiger so I have zero expectations, therefore avoiding certain disappointment. 

Chris threw in a random team with each one claimed. One of my freebies were the Pirates:

Chris  knew I was building 2011 Lineage so he filled my 'break' package with 85 cards from my want list!!!  I'd received another 43 cards this summer from a young man named JQ Spooner. He has no blog or accounts that I'm aware of which would allow me to tag him. Between these two generous lots, my list is down to eight cards!  I still need: 

42,  49,  72,  84,  93, 100,  107,  149.

85 CARDS from CHRIS!

JQ SPOONER: a sampling of his 43 cards:


If you're interested in a box break, Chris is having fun with product as far back as the 90s! His Facebook page can be found here and blog here.  Check out the blog link for his current trade stack.

Chris, thanks for the fun break offerings - and for the Lineage assist!  It was a wonderful surprise!

**********************************************

Time for a round six ballot wrap! Your candidates were A: 1987 Sportlics Factory set and B: 1989 Bowman factory set.  Twenty-two voters cast their ballots.  Sportflics took the win with 12 votes!

Going into the ballot box:



Welcome to Round 7 voting! Your candidates are small set lots: food, odd and holographic. Each has a running mate. 

CANDIDATE A:  

A complete 33 card set of 1984 Topps Ralston Purina baseball featuring many stars in all their dog chow glory! Checklist here. Full disclosure: when pulling this set for the contest, I found a slight  wrinkle on Nolan's hat. His card still presents well. There is no color loss. You should know your candidate's flaws. 


Ralston Purina's running-mate is the 2001 Sunoco Dream Team, a complete 12 card set !  When I discovered this set just a few years ago, I'd never seen it anywhere. Now these cards seem to turn up in dime boxes everywhere! But all twelve at one time? Rarely. Checklist here.



CANDIDATE B:

Another complete 33 card set for consideration: 1986 Topps Quaker Granola. Checklist here.  It's filled with stars of the day and a pilgrim on the face of each card. Chew on that!


Granola's mate in the running: 1992 Whitehall Legends to Life! These cards do not scan well and gave my camera difficulty. That's a politician for ya! Only wants you to see their good side. The five card checklist: Cobb, Gehrig, Ruth, Wagner and  Young. Cards were still sealed in plastic wrap. Scratch-free and ready to rock you with their early 90s holographic design.



Please review the rules before voting:


Before I close, a thank you goes out to Fuji for the chicken he sent my way. Chicken travels better than one might expect when it's FAMOUS! Fuji recently obtained one for himself and shared it on his blog. That's when I began whining; commenting too quickly to notice an error before entering. Truly, I only mentioned the bird was going on my Santa list. Fuji must've had concerns about Santa's ability to travel this covid-Christmas. He stepped right into the red suit and sent one to me. The postal sleigh dropped it off only a couple of days ago.

As you can see, the F.C. is right at home among friends in my happy corner. Fuji, you once asked about those brightly colored cans on the speakers. "Rainbow Seeker" is a pineapple/sage drink by Blake's Hard Cider, a few miles up the road from me.  It's good cold or with a little OJ which is my preference. A percentage of the proceeds from this cider support the LGBT National Hotline.  

Thank you Chris, Fuji and JQ - and thanks to all my readers! Get out there and vote! 

39 comments:

  1. For me it is B. I like those holographic cards. Thanks for the chance to interfere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 great sets here but the holographic cards take the cake. Choice B all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also our buddy @prewarcards on Twitter helped make the Sunoco set.

      Delete
    2. Pretty cool Preward cards! B took the cake and won't share.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Bet you have a nice Ryno collection! Send it over for closer inspection.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, gotta go B as well. The holo cards are just cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew those five cards could stand on their own.

      Delete
  5. Voting for B.


    Voting on a Sunday,
    nothing witty to say.
    Who will face Tampa Bay?
    I hope it's not L.A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Voting B for the "Whitehall Legends Come to Life"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Voting for A. Never was into food issues all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going to choose Candidate B, because I like granola bars. Also, Eddie Murray and Nolan Ryan are giving pretty good stare-downs, and I like a candidate who's tough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tough choice here. I think I'll vote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B. Sorry didn't mean to send a cliff-hanger.

      Delete
    2. Thought I was gonna have to hold my breath!

      Delete
  10. I hadn't seen the Ruths before, I am going B here

    ReplyDelete
  11. My hometown has a Purina factory, and part of my childhood memories is how a certain part of the city would smell like pet food. A weird sense of nostalgia compels me to vote for A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a Purina plant in OKC when I was a kid. PS - don't read the next comment. lol.

      Delete
  12. Voting B, because of the four sets the Whitehall is the only one I don't have at least some of.

    BTW, just want to be pedantic and point out that the Ralston Purina set was distributed with their human food--cereal--not dog food. There's a parallel set where it says "Topps Cereal Series"; that was intended to go with generic (store brand) cereals the company produced, but they ended up not doing that, and putting the "Cereal Series" cards in unmarked boxes of the Purina brand cereals, although I suspect a lot of both were sold directly to dealers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy kill. I've seen this topic come up on TCDB threads. Now, you've gone and spoiled my fun. lol.

      Delete
  13. I have to vote A. Glad you liked the cards and thanks for the plug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome Chris! Thanks for your generosity!

      Delete
  14. Love oddball/food issue cards. At this point it looks like B is winning in a landslide but I'm voting for A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't tell you how many time I voted for a losing candidate.

      Delete
  15. Your mikes have been muted. Voting is closed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like all of the cards you showed of Chris's on here,Julie.I like the design of the Topps Lineage ones especially.I think I have about 20 cards total from that Ralston Purina set.

    ReplyDelete