Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Not Your Average, Arbitrary Post

Arbitrary: random, erratic, unpredictable. Nothing average there. The same is true for the package I received in April from Brian, who claims to be highly subjective and completely arbitrary.    He's been a steady blogger for over five years. It's been awhile since we swapped cards. He made up for lost time quickly.  Not only cards but a couple of packs were included.

2000 UPPER DECK VICTORY:

BASE

INSERTS



2019-20 OPC GLOSSY


I'd forgotten how colorful the Victory release is. I don't recall ever buying a pack. OPC was my first hockey pack bust. I didn't land any Blackhawks but it was still fun.  Now comes the hard part.  Brian packed so much into his efforts, I don't know what to share.

A Topps Living Set online exclusive and 2019 Stadium Club Fulmer #d/25, both fairly rare cards. Rare is subjective in terms of hobby scarcity. I'd say yes, a 25 card print run is rare enough. The value = arbitrary.



2019 Stadium Club from my wantlist. Breathtaking beauties and quite possibly my favorite baseball cards in this post.



Altuves:



Springer:


Oh there's more. Tigers found their way into the envelope. They don't call me a cat lady for nuttin':




2012 TOPPS #/210 



SHINERS


1967 AND 1962 TOPPS
There have been more than a few Free Card Friday's on Brian's blog. I've missed out on many of these freebies in the community. The past weeks have been difficult for most of us. These giveaways bring good vibes and smiles to all their recipients. Among my choices were bat racks and mascots!


CHECK OUT FRANK'S PHONES


LOVE THIS GRACE!




Before you get your get your feathers ruffled, I don't believe the pope is mascot to the Catholic faith. I have great respect for the Roman Catholic church. Someone else had chosen this card right before my claims. I commented that I wanted to pick the pope. I do like this card. It will go nicely with my pitching nun.

My favorite card in the package from Brian isn't baseball but an older milk carton card. I could find nothing anywhere on this one; not TCDB, Beckett or the internet in general.

GOT ABE?

I wonder what Abe would say about the times we are living in right now. His record on race wasn't perfect but in his wisdom he knew this country would split if slavery continued. Here we are 150 plus years later. Slavery abolished, thank God, and finally desegregation.  But how far have we come? Why not attempt to understand the challenges blacks can often face? Their lives do matter. No one is saying all lives don't matter. Would any white person wish they'd been born black?  I think most of us would say "not me". This all hit home a few days ago, right here in small town Michigan, not Detroit, in my predominately white town with its perfect yards and touristy shops. There is a locally famous rock in a prominent location upon which folks leave greetings for birthdays, graduations, anniversaries and sometimes memorials. Not this time:


ARTICLE LINK HERE

In 2020? We are coming out of a country-wide lock-down. Folks are hot and agitated but this is more than a skin-deep ugliness.  Absolutely unacceptable.  My friends, you know I don't get political. This blog is a happy place. This is the first time I've written more than a line or two about serious issues we face as a country and frankly as people. Where is empathy?



I can tell you my little town came together to repaint that rock. Groups of people have been standing with it all day long, in a show of solidarity with those who painted the original message. Volunteers are taking turns sitting with the rock all night too, to ensure the message remains unchanged.

Sorry for the rant. I felt the need to put my voice into the universe. Thanks for sticking with me, if you did.




18 comments:

  1. Thank You for your closing remarks. If only we could ALL get along. More love and less hate. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many ways to improve our relationships with one another. Listening I believe, tops the list. Thank YOU, Fred!

      Delete
  2. Now you must tell us about the entire history of this rock monument the why and when it became a place to........ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try not to get political on my blog either, but I felt like this (fight against racism and fight for social justice) is something that's way too important to ignore. Hopefully when we look back on our blog posts one day, we'll be proud to say we chose a side and weren't afraid to stand up for what we believe in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to agree with you. It's taken me 40 years to find my voice and a few more to use it. Thanks for commenting, Fuj!

      Delete
  4. Fuji wrote pretty much my thoughts in his comment. I appreciate those who have delicately tried to speak their piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many wrong ways to get a message across, that's for sure! Thanks for commenting, DK.

      Delete
  5. Sadly, it's becoming more apparent to me that there's no hope for some members of the human race. That doesn't mean anyone should stop trying because people ARE learning (including me). It all comes down to treating others as you would like to be treated, you know that Catholic church thing ;) ... I still think if more people would go to any kind of church service once in a while, we'd have fewer problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we stop learning, we stop growing I heard that somewhere. Treating others the way I want to be treated? Why on earth would I do that? Could be contagious! I'm not one to set an example. 8^D Church is good, community involvement or any type of engagement which takes the focus off of self and adds positivity another life.

      Delete
  6. Wow,there are a lot of good looking cards in this post.My favorites are the 2019 Topps Stadium Club and 1961 and 1967 Tiger ones.I have always really loved the Stadium Club cards,especially the ones in the early 90's,because the photography has always been so sharp on them,and there are a lot of poses by the photos that you won't find in Topps regular sets:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stadium Club rarely disappoints. Thanks for checking out the photos.

      Delete
  7. Outside of the core beliefs, my politics don't jibe with a lot of other bloggers, so I just keep them to myself. Plus that, I just assume that most folks are tired of every single site trying to push it's agenda onto it's readers, so I feel like I'm sort of giving people a break by not doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, hope you don't believe I was trying to push an agenda. Once every few years, I need to share what's on my heart and mind. I do try to keep it light, and fun. Thanks for taking time to read and comment.

      Delete
  8. That rock looks very familiar to the one on campus of an university that is walking distance from me. Black Lives Matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Derek. Thank you for stopping by my blog! Not sure how you found it! This particular rock is in Romeo, about an hour n/ne of Detroit. The rock's message has changed a couple of times since this post but is currently BLM. Yes, Black Lives Matter.

      Delete
    2. Cool. I found awhile back through other blogs. :) Romeo? Cool. There is one here at MSU that has been a tradition for decades, probably over 100 years to be honest. Go Tigers!

      Delete
  9. Maybe that's what's wrong with our Tigers?? We haven't been specifically telling them WHERE to go??! LOL! Thanks for reading! I hope you come back!

    ReplyDelete