Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2020

PWE Mania

Fred Flintsone. Fred Astaire. Fred Mertz. Fred Lynn. Fred McGriff. Fred Grandy. Fred Rogers. That's a short list of some better known, fantastic Freds but they  haven't sent me any cards. Ever. There's a lesser known Fred out there, north of the border. Canada always felt so far away when I lived in Texas. Now I'm 45 minutes from the Bluewater Bridge and still haven't it made it across.

My old and awful commute was to Troy, lower left on map.
Fred and I have been trading for a couple of years now, maybe three? He's a quiet and humble fellow who's tutored me a bit in the Trading Card Database. Helped me complete my first transaction and shared come collection tips!  I think he's a swell fellow, more so than these Baseball Greats he sent for set help. That's saying a lot cuz I like these cards!

1990 SWELL BASEBALL GREATS

2011 KIMBALL CHAMPIONS
I discovered these little minis in 2015, at my last big card show in Texas before the move. I'm finally working to complete the set. I've added more cards towards a finish in the last month than in the past five years. Fred tucked in a new Daulton too! I miss #10. 

1995 COLLECTORS CHOICE
I took advantage of the virus vacation to spend some time organizing my collection. Oh how it needed some TLC!  I worked 10-15 hours a week at the office to keep in touch with our customers. I wouldn't want to give the impression I did nothing but sit for six weeks straight. I've been updating TCDB and my three blog tabs with chase cards. It's been a beautiful thing to see the postal jeep stop at my mailbox several times a week!

One of those envelopes was from Chris Nachos Grande. He is a Ginter man and had a few cards to spare towards my 2019 Ginter Greats set build.



Chris the Collector had a few Free Card Fridays. I miss out on most giveaways because well, I'm me. This particular Friday was an exclusive for commenting on his All Teams series. I picked a sweet 94 Flair Cam plus a few fun ones!  I love the 93 Donruss Molitor. It's a floating bat beauty!



I don't win contests either - still me. Reading the blogs one day during the shutdown, I learned AJ makes excellent use of wax pack wrappers. He displayed his handwork and offered a choice of bookmarks to a random winner. I never make the top ten. This was a first, at being first! Check the link for his handiwork. I went with the bright blue Fleer wrapper. It makes me happy inside!




Bump n Run Trevor picked my pockets recently so sent a few cards in return. I appreciate that! When picks become trades, it's a win-win!  Three Tigers and a 95 Cyberstat assist!


Here's another pick-to-trade from Sport Card Collector Matt. He lives on a dead end road but puts a lot of life in a plain white envelope -  a Tiger den!

Guillen/399

Pickers be crazy. Sometimes, they're Crazie.  I-E no Y, he's cray-cray Joe.  Donruss Greats, a Daulton and Blackhawks - all in return for some virtual dimeboxing. Duncan Keith is a Timmy Horton.





Sometimes collecting is all fun and games! Big fun games. I participated in Johnny's Friday night escapades recently. I came away with my first 1977 Sportscasters card, a Willie Mays!





All cards but the Mays are results of picking pockets. Thanks to all of you for the return packages and envelopes. The PP page will return soon. I'm taking the month of June off. The weather has warmed and yard work beckons. I'm also planning a big July 4th party. I've missed having one the last two years. We cookout, maybe have a bonfire but always, always have a 30-45 minutes fireworks display. It's buy one, get two free at Phantom Fireworks!




I spent an hour creating this display for a party a few years ago only to blow it all up later that evening.  I'll do it again this year.  Who's cray-cray now? Are you pointing a finger at me? The  youngest attendees are too old for chicken egg laying stunts and tanks. The pooping dog though, never gets old.

I've chosen the date to reveal the political drama referenced in my last couple of posts. Am I running for office? Not exactly. Am I buying your votes? Perhaps. Independence Day.  July 4th, in case there are any doubts.  As for my personal opinion of the current political landscape...did I mention a pooping dog?



20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. What? NO holding a roman candle with my teeth this year? That's the highlight of my show!

      Delete
  2. Wow. You sure know how to throw a party. I've always loved me a good fireworks show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have around 10-15 peeps over. We aren't drinkers, maybe a couple beers each. We keep it safe. It's an impressive show for what you can buy legally. Not like something you see at the ballpark but that's not happening this year. Boo!

      Delete
  3. Sportscaster Cards take me back to my childhood when I wanted them so bad. That was also when I hid in the back seat of the car during 4th of July shows because I hated fireworks.

    I managed to get over that, only because my brother-in-law has operated fireworks shows for much of his life. Cities hire him out and such. So, I kind of had to get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd enjoy having a few more of these cards. Storage is an issue. I keep a box for these bigger ones but once it's full...no more. As for fireworks, I can't recall ever being afraid of them. My dad bought little fountains and candles as far back as I can remember. Had me on roller coasters as soon as I was tall enough. I guess those are good "dad" memories. I only wish I had more of them.

      Delete
  4. Oh, have fun with the fireworks. My dad, for the first time in many years, is not hosting a 4th of July party this year. I was always in charge of setting them and then sending them off... good times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a heck of a fireworks display. And some awesome PWEs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to the firework haul this year. I may as well set fire to the cash...

      Delete
  6. Lots of fun stuff! A Mays sportscaster is a nice pick up for a BFG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mays photo isn't the best but the card is in great condition, and quite unique to my collection! Thanks for dropping by, your Highness!

      Delete
  7. Why is it I find the Swell 1990 yellow borders really nice, yet 1991 Fleer is overwhelming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleer is a bit brighter yellow but I like those too!

      Delete
  8. I was absolutely terrified of fireworks as a kid, and even as an adult I gotta admit that I'm still kinda scared of them. Although I will say that going to one of those giant fireworks warehouses with my friends a few years back was one of the more fascinating and bizarre experiences of my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I moved from OKC and Dallas where fireworks are not legal in the city. The warehouses in Michigan are FUN! I can't spend $500 on one 10 shot finale. That won't ever be in my budget. I do put on a great show though. The neighbors enjoy it...or at least they aren't calling the police.

      Delete
  9. (1) I'd like to receive a trade package from Fred Flintstone. Cards from his day would be what? Pre-vintage? And would they be made of stone, with player images chiseled in?

    (2) That bookmark is great. Might have to try making one. Congratulations on the contest victory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Bam Bam rookie? We complain now about the overly thick cards from Panini. I can't imagine a toploader for those!

      Delete
    2. Pre Vintage cards of Steve Stone, Rock Raines, Steve Bedrocksian, and T Rex Hudler!

      Delete