Pages

Friday, May 1, 2020

Nick's Book Nook and Card Shop

I hardly know where to begin with this particular share. If I were to save the best for last, you would skip right to the bottom of this post. I'm not catering to you.  And who has the final say of what's best?  Me. I'm the decider.

Nick (do not ask 'Nick, who?' ) sent an oversized package my way mid-February. This package could not have been more well-timed. A month later, Nick was laid-off from his job. Sometimes you ask for something so off the wall, well, there's just no way your wish will be fulfilled.  Did you ask Nick who? Nick might as well be Santa Claus.

He packed in the usual assortment of cardboard surprises which he has such a knack for doing.
How about a 75 Kaline? Check.



1971 O-Pee-Chee? Of course.




One card needed to finish your 2018 Fire set? No problem ma'am.



Pristine 2001 Topps Reserve in their refractory finest? Have two:




Magazine oddball - required.



       

 1993 UD Glowing Darren Daulton.  Happy to oblige!




A case of the 'no baseball blues'? Please, take one Champ Summers.




Crazy enough to build 2003 Topps Retired from one card? Here's your second. You're gonna need the help.




One scoop or two? Please, have four.





Holy smokes! It was a difficult narrowing down the scans to share only a handful of the 100 or so cards Nick sent.  [Are you still asking, 'Nick who'?]  I could ramble on at length about each card here but decided to save it for this lot. If there were 'best' cards in this package, lordy it must be these.  1961 Nu-Card Scoops should be found at the top of my vintage oddball want-list. Scoops are a delightful addition to the Tiger collection. I love the news headline design. Throughout all of my card show binges, I've only ever found one Nu-Scoop card, Mickey Cochrane card 419. This set would look fantastic in a binder. I have five cards. Anyone care to send the rest?

GO FUND ME

As much as I love this 80 card set, it isn't in the boo-jay - that's French for budget.  Perhaps when I have a few hundred to splurge, I can find a clean and complete set. Scoops are numbered 401-480. My best guess is numbering continued from previous sets although I've found only one: 1960 Nu-Card Highlights. However, it's numbered 1-72. If any of you have more info than this, please share in the comments.

IMAGE COURTESY OF TCDB

If you are still asking Nick who then I must ask you- have you been social-distancing on another planet?  He began blogging at the end of 2011. Dime Boxes should be on your required reading list.    

And if Nick's taking any suggestions, this post's title is a big ole hint!!! I'll join you Nick, and run the cafe. Nick may be laid off but when he's not, he's working for my favorite bookstore chain, Half Price Books. Books, records, magazines, games and some collectibles - I've never walked out of one empty handed. I was a regular customer - every weekend - at the flagship store in Dallas Tx. It's H-U-G-E! Before vinyl became a 'thing' again these past few years, I was quietly stocking up. I had no trouble finding most 60s & 70s albums in like new/nearly new condition for $5.99 or less. I'm talkin' Beatles for cheap!

I'm also a book junkie: history, memoirs, biographies, positive thinking...and baseball. All hold treasured space on my bookshelves. Nick asked if there were any books I might be looking for.  I mentioned one that had been on my Amazon list for a long time. A book out of print since 1991, originally published in 1973. There was no way he'd find a nearly new copy, ever.  A worn copy maybe, eventually.


Nick's reply?  This book came in just this past week!!  He happens to manage the sports section of the store.  I could not believe this good luck.  The hardbacks are simply unaffordable and a high quality paperback can run $30+ on the secondary market.  Beggars shouldn't be choosy but I am when it comes to books.  My own paperbacks are in like new condition: no tears, bends, and no broken spines, even after several readings! How is it that this 30 year old copy could meet my criteria?

The authors Boyd and Harris both worked for a bookstore. A customer inquired regarding books about baseball cards but these were yet to be written. They took it upon themselves to pen one.  After going through their childhood collection of cards from the 50s and 60s, the men chose an eclectic group of players as fodder for their prose. Most of the players represented are the lesser knowns, the fellas you always manage to pull from a wax pack four or five times - in four or five trips to the drugstore.

It was a fun read. I forced myself to put it down overnight and finish the second day. Not wanting to break the spine, I wasn't able to scan any of the contents to share.  Please accept my apologies for the phone pics.  Here's a peek into the thoughts of two collector pals in 1973:

At least Rip has some 'best' years.


The umpire heckled him.
What a juvenile prank.




What's up, Albie?


Know any good kneck kneck jokes?

Someday there will be nostalgia for the 70s, indeed.

Nick, I hardly know how to thank you. The cards were fantastic, with many new additions to the stash. The book however, was over the top. It will be treasured for many years to come.

I consider myself fortunate to have fallen in with our blogging community. My collection has grown immensely due to the generosities of bloggers like Nick.  With the extra hours afforded during the MI Stay At Home Order, I've had the opportunity to assess my collection. My next post will be an update on the new direction my cardboard hoarding has taken. What's old is new, so it seems. Until then, be well.

And for Pete's sake, read Nick's blog!

35 comments:

  1. Positive Thinking. I was positive this would be an interesting and informative post. It is!! A nice group of cards, an interesting book and another blog to check. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always an encouragement. Thank YOU.

      Delete
  2. Nick never fails to deliver. His packages always check all the right boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. HI - great to see you drop by again! Not sure why I was drawn to that particular FIRE set. The others haven't done much for me. Getting the last card crossed off was fantastic!

      Delete
  4. You are very welcome, Julie! You couldn't have asked for that book at a better time, because as I mentioned it literally came in the same week that you emailed me about it. Still one of my favorite baseball books ever and I'm so glad you have it now! Here's hoping my job's still waiting for me if/when the store reopens!

    I found a bunch of cheap Nu-Scoops recently at a card show and bought pretty much all of 'em. Oddly enough pretty much all the dupes that resulted were of Tigers, and thus went into your trade pile! Still one of my favorite oddball sets ever -- though I'm pretty sure my budget wouldn't allow for that unopened box, I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider it YOUR good luck to have found the book. Scoops -what a find and yet more good luck! If we are counting on mine... well, luck seems to think I owe it some big debt.

      Delete
  5. Ho Lee Cow. Nice package, good post too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, DK. I'll be checking out your blog too!

      Delete
  6. A. Classic baseball card book. I should open up my copy since it's been a few years since I read it.

    B. About 20 minutes ago, I read NO's post that mentioned Milt May. Now you write about Champ Summers. It's like an early 80's SF Giants reunion.

    C. Nick is the man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a) of course you have a copy b) Milt's cards as an Astro are my faves 3) People who know, know Nick.

      Delete
  7. Wow, a package that includes the iconic GABCFTABGB! I have the very same copy sitting on my desk in my card room. It was not cheap when my wife found it for me as a Christmas gift. As I said when I posted about it, our blogs are the closest thing to the spirit of that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a mouth full of acronym! gotta like it, even if I won't remember it. This book's a fine collector's companion and full of the humor I so enjoy. I just read this post of yours. Great read, and written as only our NO could do.

      Delete
  8. It's a great book. I learned about baseball in those times by reading my Dad's old copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GTT, nice to meet you. Thanks for dropping in!

      Delete
  9. Those captions are hilarious! "...except that most bat boys could easily outhit him."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend at the very least, a well-loved copy of this book for $6! It's out there.

      Delete
  10. Some really cool stuff. And I think I would love working at a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, have you been to HPB? I know there are many in TX. It may be a bit of a drive for you but I highly recommend a visit to the Flagship store, near I-75 on Northwest Highway. Be prepared to spend at least a couple hours in there. Clean restrooms and a cafe -should you make a day of it! ;)

      Delete
  11. The Boyd/Harris book is a must read/own for any card blogger. Cardboard Gods by Josh Wilker a modern take. The inscription from Wilker (he did a signing in a nearby town) in mine reads, "I hope this copy become as dog-eared as your Boyd/Harris book".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for your comment! I've also read Wilker's book and found it entertaining. Always fun to add a keeper to the bookcase!

      Delete
  12. That was a very nice package. Kudos to you both. (includes Nick).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I love to read. This was an easy book to get lost in.

      Delete
  13. Awesomeness all around. Love the cards and but never heard anybody say if the book was any good. Now I'll have to begin a search for a copy of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this book. I was born in the 60s so many of the pop culture reference from the introduction are familiar to me. As a collector, I've also seen most of the cards mentioned in the book. Sardonic wit appeals to me so it was a fun one! Hope you are able to find and enjoy a copy yourself!

      Delete
  14. With a name like Nick's Book Nook and Card Shop, how could you NOT visit? (Or want to work there?)

    Also, I never noticed that the apostrophe on that '75 Kaline card is actually a diamond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I'll be slapped silly. Great observation!

      Delete
  15. Wow that's a fantastic package. There's a reason I call myself "other Nick" in this community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. No two Nicks are alike! As it should be ;)

      Delete
  16. Nick is a treasure, that's for sure. I got "totes jelly" (as the kids used to say) about the Scoops cards, but the book put me over the top. My friend had a copy when I was a kid, and I borrowed it a couple of times but I never actually owned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totes jelly. Funny stuff! I had to think about that for a sec. Don't make me do that.

      Delete
  17. Nick sent you some great stuff! I was in awe of the cards, and then the book just stopped me dead in my tracks. I read every scan since I know I'll never find a copy anywhere. Book Nook and Card Shop would be a fantastic business. I'd shop there for sure - two of my favorite hobbies in one place? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow,there are a lot of nice looking cards in this one and some from a few sets that I never knew existed,like the Nu Scoops and Topps Retired ones.My favorite ones are the Baseball Cards Magazine Alan Trammell,1975 Topps Al Kaline,and all of the Baseball Scoops ones.I have about 30 different of the ones which were inserted into Baseball cards Magazine in the late 80's into the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy smokes, that book looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete