Pages

Monday, June 29, 2020

Angelic Trade and a Collective Hoarding

I don't even want to know what my mail carrier thinks with every delivery. She's seen a lot of pick pocket envelopes in the last three months and twice as much incoming mail for...ME. Perhaps she thinks I'm popular? A shopaholic?  None of these goodies were addressed to 'current resident.'

Angels' man, Texas Tom, sent a fun envelope filled with sticker needs, Phillies' Dutch and Harpo and a glowing group of stars!  All but Harpo were from my wantlist, always appreciated! The Harp was part of a pack bust. I mentioned liking the card and voila!! He's a gracious fellow.



Sharply designed

Love the dirty throwback!



Those crazy 90s! Fun cards! My dilemma - put them in the fun binder, or with the 1993 Fun Pack set build which is coming along, not. Twenty seven years later, I still need a hundred cards. Glow Stars still needed:


Thanks for the help, Tom! Come back next month 'n' pick my pockets!

******************************************************

If you follow Greg at The Collective Mind, perhaps you've read several of his 'Dispersing the Hoard' posts. Greg bought a collection with an amazing card assortment spanning the late 90s through 2006 or so. These were up for trade, or sale if you were unable to assist with his want list. I couldn't lend a hand there but was happy to free up some space in those boxes! I've done this three times now and am still tempted to return and pick a little more. Many of the available cards were from "current player sets" of the day. I'm drawn to the retired or deceased fellows. Pardon the dark humor but as I've said more than once, 'the only good Yankees are dead Yankees.'  For example:

From 2004 UD Yankee Classics. Upper Deck had it going on!

I received 23 cards from 2004 UD Timeless Teams, a set too large for me to tackle! I pick these cards up when I can.




Also from 2004 and Upper Deck - Sweet Spot Classics! This 60 card batch knocked a lot off my want list. I was crazy excited to see these weren't claimed!


All that remains of my list

The first dead  and old guys set I ever attempted was 2001 Upper Deck Hall of Famer. I finished the base set with one box bust back in the day. The base card design is simple, and I think - stunning! I took every card he had to divide among my player collections. You may see the extras pop up on pick pockets one day.


Subsets are also unique, perhaps a bit busy but colorful. These include Origins of the Game, Hall of Records and National Pastime.






As for the insert sets, I'm still trying to finish three:



Greg had a few for me:



I don't know too many baseball collectors who are happy to see UD gone from the hobby. 'Goodwin Champions' makes me a little sick every time I spy one in a dime box. Awfullllllllll.  Looking at the cards I chose from the Hoard, it's obvious UD was a heavy part of my early collecting history.

Not to knock Topps but I wasn't into the white borders and picket fences back then. There are a few sets  I've come across in recent years that had I still been collecting after 2002, I would've forked over the dough for them. 2003 Fan Favorites would be one - and 28 cards from Greg was enough to whet my appetite for more.



I hope Greg is able to find a home for his remaining hoard. I'm elated to add all of these to my collection. I won't share the cost but to say cheap cheap cheap. It was as good as any card show could've been. We've all missed them during the pandemic. I did pick up cards from Cracker Jack and old school Elite to share around the community. I'm not always  thinking of myself.

22 comments:

  1. Voting for the throwback Harper from the normal section.

    Voting for the Josh Gibson from the deceased section.

    Satch seems to be in a St. Louis Browns uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha- deceased section. hope you put those votes to good use soon ;) BTW, you are invited to the next edition of pick pockets, coming in a couple of weeks. I rec'd an envelope from you today. Thank you. It was a fun one.

      Delete
  2. A very nice selection of cards. I also see some cards that have been added to my want list at TCDb. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out your new wants. I hope to be back to regular trading in a couple of weeks. Got get through the next two weeks of remaining prep work and after-party cleanup. ;)

      Delete
  3. Man, there are some great images here. I think my favorite is Nolan Ryan holding up the four "no-hitter" baseballs. (Funny that Upper Deck used it on a Strikeout Leaders card, however.) The smiling Phil Rizzuto card is also a classic, with those bulky/baggy uniforms on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. old-timer cards back when they were done well! Not the same image year after year after year topps after year after year topps...

      Delete
  4. I like the photo used in the Darren Daulton card. It looks like it was taken at Dodger Stadium. Congrats on picking up some great cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I'm not sure how I got so lucky! Greg is a great fellow to trade with but also a keen business man. ;) Worth every bit of what I spent. The Daulton was on my w/l. Always happy to get a new Dutch!

      Delete
  5. Glow in the dark cards... how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gavin's been hoarding them. I'm surprised to have any at all!

      Delete
  6. Some fantastic Upper Deck sets! Haven't ever seen several of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss UD baseball! Their OPC hockey is nice though.

      Delete
  7. I forgot about those Glow Stars. They are cool. They sort of look like Big League's "Flipping Out"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see a likeness there. I love floating bats but the BL inserts don't fit my collection. The design doesn't do much for me. GS are wildly colorful...and stickers!!!!

      Delete
  8. I always loved the Fun Pack product. So much creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember thinking the value was there. Box collation was terrible. I will finish this one, or buy it outright. It's time. Too many holes in the binder.

      Delete
  9. I have a bunch of extra 2004 UD Timeless Teams. If you build a want list... I can get you on your merry way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooo, drool. I'll work on that Fuj! Merry is good.

      Delete
  10. Some great photos there. My favorite is Al Kaline, looks like he is in his backyard. (Just happens to have bleachers in his backyard . . . )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bo, you're the pro when it comes to pickin' out the background details. Until you say otherwise, I'll go with "backyard." lol!

      Delete
  11. 2001 UD Hall of Famers was one of the first "old guy" sets I ever saw too! And it gets extra points for featuring Negro Leaguers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still one of my favorites, and among the first placed in a binder.

      Delete