Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

A Little Florida Sunshine

I'm giving myself a pat on the back today.  By now, I've usually disappeared for a few months. I've been busy outdoors which stretches the time between posts.  Although I'd like to blog daily, every 7 - 10 days is more realistic. Unfortunately, that's not enough time to keep up with shares. These past couple of months have brought some larger trades my way. I try to post in order of receipt. As of now, we are all the way up to APRIL.  And what did April bring? A nice little box from Florida filled with over 200 cards! A nice assortment for player collections and miscellaneous set helps were included.


I've been trying to complete 1997 SP since ...1997.  I still need five cards.  Yeah, I should just buy them but that takes the fun out of begging.


1994 Donruss MVPs are new to my want list. While going through my collection, I discovered all of 94 Donruss completed but for this 28 card insert set. Well why the heck not? I'm starting this set from scratch. Including Grace and Bagwell, I own three. The Azocar is one of the fun cards you see floating around the blogs. I have a couple of these so this one will go to the pick pocket box.  Finding 89ers in a trade package is like a hug from home.  I'll always be an Okie.

I still have room in my heart for Altuve. All six of these cards were on my wantlist:


Caminitis from 1998 Tek and Stadium Club - both new to me:


The scan doesn't reflect the shiny refractive glow of Lou and his neighbor Ty.  Lou is a 2010 wrapper redemption. Cobb may be even more rare. He's from a 25 card set found only in 2019 Topps factory sets - Chrome Greatest Card Reprints Refractors - actually one of the few reprints I was chasing.

I mentioned 200+ cards. Most were for another impulsive set build, one I've toyed with for years. I finally committed to the 396 card hunt, starting from scratch.  There were 200 1995 Topps Cyberstats in that package! I've enjoyed the foil fronts for years. Topps made some excellent photo choices in 1995.




Crazy generous, wouldn't you say? The young man who sent these cards dabbles a bit in Topps cards that never were.  Jeremy included a few of his creations which fit perfectly into my collection.


What does one send in return for his generosity? Well, Jeremy is from Michigan and still collects his Tigers. I always have extra. He lives  in Florida and collects the Rays. We ALL have those on hand!!!

Jeremy also posted nine cards on his blog awhile back; first come, first pick. In my greed, I chose two, both for set builds. 2000 Pacific Gold Crown Die Cuts are some of the best-looking cards I own from that decade. I still need two - Ripken and Piazza.  2018 Topps Independence Day is by far my favorite Topps Independence parallel. I can't afford to chase the whole set but pickup cards when I can. This was a sweet card to chance upon!



I can't say thanks enough to Jeremy. It was our first trade. It took me a month or so to reciprocate but was happy to send him cards from his wantlist as well!

July 4th is creeping up quickly. I still have a few more things I'd like to do outside before my party. Fireworks have been purchased but I cannot find anyone selling rain. It's been unusually hot and dry this month. No rain = no fireworks. I'm always a little bummed during a dry spell anyway. All my little creatures have no water. I saw two wild turkeys with their little chicks tonight, strolling across my backyard, along with several bunnies. I wonder what they'll be drinking. Perhaps next year, I'll put in a fountain or shallow pond of some sort. It would make me feel better. Nature is out of my control. Most things are. 

Don't forget - on July 4th, this blog is presenting something special for the upcoming election season.  What electoral college? Your vote actually counts! Making politics great again!

34 comments:

  1. Whoa, look at the Jeter Pacific! Never seen it! Looks so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caught your eye, did it? ;) Nicest Jeter I own now. An attractive design for sure! Sold his rookies a couple years ago.

      Delete
  2. I just grabbed a few of those Independence Day cards. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, to have heard the conversations at first base between the old vet Tyrus and the young Gehrig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There could've been some interesting exchange between those two! Polar opposites in temperament.

      Delete
  4. Had a great trade with Jeremy, too. He does good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One big first trade! Funny now, for me to be out of Rays. How does that happen?

      Delete
  5. A great trade package there! That Stadium Club Caminiti looks absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not actively pursuing add'l Cams but gladly welcome a new one into the pc.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. The 90s gave us Stadium Club. I am forever grateful!

      Delete
  7. Meh. I was going to vote for the Jeter, but somebody already did (unofficially).

    I'll vote for upside down Devereaux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice! Keep those votes handy. They will soon make a difference here on this blog!

      Delete
  8. Yes to 1995 Topps photos. But reading the names, ouch my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holo-foil font is a nice touch. The foil backgrounds don't scan well either but in hand, these cards make a nice parallel.

      Delete
  9. Lots of cardboard goodness there--congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the BBC! I was surprised by the quantity. Fun to go through.

      Delete
  10. I get it. It seems about once a week posting is becoming my norm too. Nice trades there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom! I'm happy I've been able to stick with the blog without a break. Those breaks were never due to fun and excitement outside the blogs,

      Delete
  11. That Sparky with him and the umpire is fantastic! It's like he's pointing right at you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's grand! a great photo opp apparently missed by the Big Brands!

      Delete
  12. So I must’ve missed the part about voting. I’ve seen some people ‘vote’ on different blogs for their favorite card. Is there a post that mentioned anything about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jeremy! Thanks again for the cards! If you've read my last few posts, I've been promoting a voting opportunity coming in a little over a week and running through November. Elliptical Man picks out his fave cards throughout the blogsphere with a vote. It has nothing to do with my upcoming political diversion. He is NOT "running against me." LOL. No one is. I win.

      Delete
  13. Gotta like those 95 Topps Cyberstats. I have the Clayton card. Interesting front as he turns a double play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great shot! From the 200 cards,it was an easy choice to share here.

      Delete
  14. Hope Mother Nature delivers some rain to you, those turkeys, and bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Fuj! I left a comment on your Spring Cleaning post to thank you for the touch of Zen in my mailbox. It was a nice surprise!

      Delete
    2. Of course. Glad I could send something that you could actually use.

      Delete
  15. Wow if that jeter ever comes available...you know where I am lol

    (I am also a big fan of 97 Sp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, I do. I liquidated my Jeters a couple years ago, keeping only a few special cards. I expect this one to remain in my collection for the time being. It sure is purty.

      Delete
  16. The landing on the Devereaux looks very painful. Best of luck putting that set together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert! Yeah, I'm off to a hot start but expect to be slumping on this one. Mendoza line, here I come!

      Delete
  17. Hey again Julie!I like the Gehrig and Cobb cards the most out of the ones in this post,and I thought the Topps Cyberstats cards were a very cool idea as well:).

    ReplyDelete