Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Pennysleeves and Nickel Cards

$$$$$$  This post is all about the money!

Sometime back before the first of the year [2019] longer actually, Jon dropped a pwe in the mail. While I did tweet a thank you, a glimpse into that long gone envelope is overdue.

My favorite hockey team  {I say favorite but haven't actually seen a game though might watch one if I felt like it} was represented with these 2013-13 Panindians.


The shining continues with these chromium men:

      2000 SPX  1999                 Stadium Club Chrome

1998 Chrome
I'd forgotten how colorful  these Boomers were! Justin was a top prospect in his day. All I recall is his being traded to Texas along with a miscellany of other players for Juan Gonzalez in 1999. He tried for years to overcome injuries but floundered in the minors. Detroit didn't fair much better since Juan spent his short time there with foot pain, whining about the 400ft outfield wall. He said for the Tigers to sign him long term, they would have to move the fence in.  Such a hard life.  Bye bye Juan.



While I still enjoy receiving player favorites like Piazza and Sandberg within trades, I no longer purchase these cards unless found in discount boxes.  Budget constraints and the ridiculous amount of product pushed me to choose among my PC men. Altuve and Cobb won out over the others, plus a little vintage here and there. Jon included a nice trio of Old Spikes!

Vintage was the highlight of the envelope. 1953 Bowman Color is filled with beautiful stadium backgrounds, dugout shots, bats - oh so many bats!  I pick up affordable cards from this set whenever possible. Fred Hatfield played with the Tigers from 52-56. His career spanned nine years and 722 games with 493 hits, 248 walks, 165 rbi and .242 average.


Wow Jon! Even after all this time, these cards still pack a punch! Thanks for your support and kindness. Jon's blog is a one-stop hub for Toys, Games and YoYos. You'll find vhs, comic books, cards and other trinkets from the past!

******************

If you saw my post last week, then you know I scored a thousand or so homeless cards from nickel boxes, and a few for myself.

 

I had this Rocco Stadium Club years ago. Rocco never did big things but he had such a great name. Still does. Hard to believe this young man is now managing the Twins!  This one goes with my yet-to-be-named collection of cards featuring portrait and still shots which reflect the beauty of our pastime. There are some uglier, more painful aspects of the game too, as this card so vividly details:

Into the catcher binder! I'm not sure why Score used a portrait layout for this one. 

Check out these little Jefferson's with no Monticello of their own:

PINNACLE UC3 AND SPORTFLIX

1995 ULTRA  - 3 Gold Medallions
BUNT PROGRAMS!




I showed off a small stack of these 2011 Diamond Anniversaries recently. I never been a fan of the real rocks. These however, are irresistible! When I came across this new batch, there was no leaving them behind for someone else to enjoy! I am a selfish individual with no time for shame.







Every card, a nickel each. Crazy?  Yes, it is and so am I. Thank you Tommy J!


Thanks Googly Images!


19 comments:

  1. Lumber Co. - That's an insert set I'd like to see make a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, lots of nice stuff from both sources! I'm partial to the Justin Thompson (I remember when Topps inserts looked like that!) and Sportflix inserts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dennis! Why has it taken years for us to connect? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Some very nice cards from that forgotten Charles Dickens character, Mr. Jon Pennysleeves. I am particularly jealous of that 1953 Bowman. Can't complain about those nickel cards either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much to complain about these days! I should read more Dickens. There MUST be a Pennysleeves in old Chuck's work somewhere.

      Delete
  4. That 53 Bowman is a beauty Jon hooked you up,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hooked on 53 Bowman! So glad he thought of me.

      Delete
  5. Looks like this Jon character sent you a couple of neat cards, but a blog about YoYos and VHS? I don't know, sounds kind of lame if you ask me :)

    Diamond Anniversary for a nickel each? Hard to pass that up. Does this mean that you will now be working on the set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TG&Y was a good-sized retailer (five and dime type store) which originated in Oklahoma. I went often as a kid for toys and comic books. It also went by "turtles, girdles and yoyos" but figured you weren't collecting girdles. 8^D I'm not working on the set but hoped to find someone out there who needed them. I truly do have a streak in me. Why let someone else have them at that price even though I don't personally need them? Is that so wrong?

      Delete
  6. I get excited when I find Diamond Anniversaries in dime boxes -- I would've just about lost my mind seeing them for a nickel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sweet nickels well spent! If you are working on a set, let me know. I can hook you up with a small stack.

      Delete
  7. great stuff all around. Those diamond anniveraries look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love finding shiny things so cheaply. More fun still, finding them a home!

      Delete
  8. Growing up, I had zero interest in hockey until I knew San Jose was going to have a team. Since then it's been one of my favorite sports to watch in person. When you finally give it a shot and watch a game, I hope you get hooked like I did. Then again... not sure if I really want to deal with another Blackhawks fan ;) Go Sharks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, either way you still have to deal with me. I'm not going away. ;) I do find hockey hard to watch on tv but enjoy live games.

      Delete
  9. Man, that 1953 Bowman Fred Hatfield is baseball card perfection. The pose, the infield dirt, the Yankee Stadium facade -- even the creases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree! I've fallen in love with a set which doesn't match my budget. This card has manageable creasing which doesn't detract from overall eye appeal. Love it!

      Delete
  10. '53 Bowman Color is an all-time great set, every card is fantastic-including the Hatfield here. Jon is very generous!

    I love that Stadium Baldelli card, it's so clean and bright-like the first day of spring. And 2011 Topps parallels are so popular on the blogsphere. Great cards!

    ReplyDelete