Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer??

Most of us are familiar with these seemingly meaningless words. Internet research reveals a schlemiel is a clumsy person, while a schlimazel is an unlucky one.  Both terms are Yiddish. I'd like to think these nouns fit me to a T - lower case.  I fall occasionally, and hit my head more often than one should, if one should at all. Clumsy and unlucky, until last month. Not only did I get through 30 days without injury, I scored a card which has been a high want for a long while.


Though I've seen Laverne and Shirley in syndication, the program wasn't something we watched in my household when it originally aired. I always thought Laverne was a bit rough around the edges and Shirley,  a goody-two-shoes. After reading Penny Marshall's memoir, this thought may have held true to real life. I found a used 'like new' copy of her book in January. The introduction is hilarious; classic Penny Marshall.  She read her story to me - in my head of course. Her voice was on every page.

PENNY HAD A POTTY MOUTH

I don't recall where I first saw this 2013 Golden Age opportunity; quite possibly on PENNYsleeves' site. As a fan of catchers in gear, A League of Their Own and most things 70s, this card became a must have. The photo was taken during the filming of the movie directed by Marshall.  She is young, and appears to be healthy and happy. This card is happy.  Going prices at the time were around $35 but I just couldn't bring myself to pay the price.

The only copy on COMC is listed for $54

December 2018:  I'll be vo-dee-oh-doh-dohed!!!  Penny Marshall moved on to the field of freakin' dreams!  Just like that, she was gone. Prices soared with the Golden Age auto consistently selling for $65.  'Well, I won't own this card anytime soon', I said to myself.  'Soon' became nearly six months.  Searching ebay, I found one with a starting $35 bid, added to the old watchlist and waited. Fifteen minutes before it was to end, I decided to spend the money but thought to do one more search.

Holy moly, am I glad I did! Someone else wanted to sell their copy right then and there! $25 BIN or best offer, $3 shipping.  Nutty as Penny, I couldn't resist making an offer of $22 which was immediately accepted! I then realized it was the seller who was nuttier than both of us!

A few days later, this Penny from heaven arrived:


Wow! It's crazy how happy this card makes me.  It represents a part of my life that could have been - should have been - better. I can't bring back the 70s but travel back when I can.  Obvious to those who know me best, I'll never grow up completely. Immaturity suits me. There's some sadness here as well, time moving forward as it does. Those days are further behind with each sunset. Our icons don't wait for us to grow old too.

Ok, I'm back. It's 2019!  And lest I forget to mention, hasenpfeffer is a German rabbit stew. 

Google images says this photo may be copyrighted.
I agree. It belongs to the 70s.

23 comments:

  1. Nice addition. I have seen most of the episodes of that show. We watched Happy Days reruns a lot in the 90s and eventually they showed these too.

    I never figured out what the next word after hasenpfeffer was. I always remember it as "Incorporated" but I'm not sure that's right.

    But you gave me a chance for a comment, I had to take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed “incorporated”. Couldn’t tell you why, though.

      In Jewish tradition you can’t really be a schlemiel and a schlimazel. A schlimazel is the victim of a schlemiel. The schlemiel spills his soup; the schlimazel is the one he spills it on.

      Delete
    2. Brett Alan or Woody Allen? Based on the comment, you can't be sure!

      Delete
    3. Billy, thanks for starting a conversation! Can I be my own victim Brett? lol! Woody Allen! Just the mention of his name and the conversation goes awry!

      Delete
  2. That's a great-looking card--congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Beautiful card for an excellent price. I grew up watching Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a rare splurge for a non-baseball card! Now that she is gone, the gone is priceless.

      Delete
  4. I grew up watching L&S too, and my only complaint about the show was that it made people in Wisconsin sound like they were from Brooklyn. ;-)

    Seriously, though, great card -- I'm happy you got it for a decent price too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to watch an interview with Penny on youtube, recorded in 2012 but couldn't understand her. With that thick accent, I just knew she was from Appleton.

      Delete
  5. Congrats! A great card of a true Hollywood legend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks much! if it were in my budget, I'd be going all Pennysleeves on Golden Age autos. This is my favorite card in the set.

      Delete
  6. Hey... I know this card! Great price too, I think that was about the price I paid for mine, and that was before she had left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both got a great deal! I hope you do finish these sets. Just a card here and there, no pressure. It will hold its value. In the meantime I'll remain envious, coveting your Ageless collection!

      Delete
  7. Very cool! I wish those Golden Age autographs were just a LITTLE cheaper -- there's a lot of awesome non-sport auto subjects I'd love to add to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are a good number of entertainers from the 60s and 70s I'd love to have but my pockets aren't as deep these days.

      Delete
  8. Awesome...a perfect card for you...have a Milk & Pepsi to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that milk and pepsi thing was real life Penny Marshall. what a character she was!

      Delete
  9. Awesome! Have you ever tried milk and Pepsi? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds gross but I’ve had a root beer float which is same concept and those are good...

      Delete
    2. hmmm, yes. makes sense. i always liked coke or root beer floats. i guess it is kinda odd how soda mixes so well with ice cream.

      Delete
  10. Nice acquisition! I was never much of a L&S fan, but I liked Penny Marshall in other things; I might have to read that book, sounds entertaining.

    I'm way to late for this post, because I kept wanting to say "Hasenpfeffer is - Oh, you figured it out. Well, a shlemiel is someone who - Oh, Brett Alan already commented on that."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. אף פעם לא מאוחר מדי Hebrew for "never too late", according to my limited resources.

      Delete