Pages

Monday, April 22, 2019

Show and Tell, Collectively Speaking.

This post is a two-for-one: a package received and a round of NICKEL cards and vintage from my April 6th visit to the Taylor MI monthly card show. You'll see a couple of these posts since I brought home 1000+ cards for trading/hoarding. My house is quickly becoming a storage facility, filled with cats and cards. What does that make me?

Cards on the left are mine. Those on the right - up for grabs!

I've also updated my want list, hoping to eliminate a few set needs.  The latest additions include 2019 Gypsy Queen and more from 2018 Heritage.  I decided to complete several insert sets which means I need YOU!  Please check out the Send Help tab to see what has me crying, begging and pleading. 

Staying ahead of  my traditional 'one year to share a trade' deadline, here's a wonderful group of cards from Greg's Collective Mind.  His blog theme is based on Star Trek's Borg.  Of all species found in the many Trek  series, Borg were the most frightening to me. Greg is nothing like them. He made me say that.

Greg's been known to take our want-lists along to card shows. Here's a look at a few of  his generosities:


Set needs!

A nice batch of 2007 Heritage Tigers - needed!





2014 Golden Age was a fun box break. I have a greater appreciation for this set with each passing year. Greg included this Sweet Willie Horton auto in the same package with this fine gem:


The highly coveted Covington! I love this card for a couple reasons; the bat rack is an obvious one, the old Braves logo patch another.  We're lucky to have this shot of Wes on his 61 Topps card. In 1961, Wes became one of those rare players to spend time with four teams over the course of one year: Braves, White Sox, A's and Phillies.  This was on my list of 'gotta have it' cards.

Greg, thanks for your thoughtfulness! I apologize for taking so long to share these on the blog.

*****

Of course, 1962 Topps gave us another awesome Covington bat card, this time as a Phillie. We could've had him in any one of the four uniforms.  I picked this one from a dollar bin.



My favorite vintage dealer, Danny, has cards 15 for $10.  He's always adding new ones to the selection. I looked through 70 Topps to find a few bats I needed:


I love that Hiatt's bat crosses another in the shot, making an 'X'.

2019 Heritage may have a few choice dugout shots but the bats are sorely missing. 

My favorite modern dealer had a stack of vintage cards, something you'll rarely find on his table. He bought a collection which included some old Bowman. Now, these aren't for everyone.  Glued into a scrapbook for who knows how many years, then ripped from their pages -  at a quarter per, they were coming home with me.





I'm not a full out condition snob but these don't fit my slowly growing collection of 51 and 52 Bowmans. I have probably a hundred or so, preferring them mid-grade. So what to do with them...?

And how about this old Snuffy Stirnweiss '48 Leaf for a whopping one dollar bill?  He's a keeper!



Many of the nickel cards will begin finding their way to new homes soon via PWE surprises. Some will show up on the Pick Pockets tab.  I have a 'no nickel refractor left behind' policy. I scooped up all I could find.  Rediscover Topps junk wax?  Got it.







P-Town gets first dibs on the Vogelmonster. He loves those Cubbies but thinks Dan's the man, and has for some time!  Topps Chrome is colorful but not refractory. I've never seen these cards.

A nice batch of camo Prizms are hiding in this post somewhere.


Topps Stars. A lot of thought went into this product. The more rare the parallel, the larger the photo crop is on front. Back off, Chipper!

Have a roll of nickels?  If you've learned anything about me from this post, it's that I'm a cheap date!

16 comments:

  1. Greg comes through again! It should come as no surprise to hear that I'm somewhat partial to the Golden Age Horton. That must've been a pretty good show to come home with a box like that. I have never heard of anyone finding a '48 Leaf in a dollar box before, and I can't even say that I've ever even seen one in a box of any kind before, they're always in glass cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would like the GA Horton! It was a "two trips to the car kind of haul" day!

      Delete
  2. Your "No Nickel Refractor Left Behind" policy is a great policy. Also I'm totally jealous of those early '50s Bowman...for a QUARTER?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are you offering to take them off my hands? :)

      Delete
    2. If Nick or anyone else hasn't claimed them, I can see if I can put together a package worthy of them

      Delete
    3. Bo, these are yours for the taking. Thanks for giving them a good home. We'll skip the background check and paperwork so you can take immediate custody!

      Delete
  3. Filled with cats? Then you're just the cat lady. Filled with cats and cards? Then you're awesome. Let's hang out at the cat-and-card lady's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over! Just google map my zip code and look for a field-sized litter box!

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love the Willie Horton auto! Companies need to do more auto products of past players of Horton's caliber.
    Thanks for thinking of me, but I have a copy of that Vogelmonster. You should try flipping it on Ebay. You may get lucky and find it sells for for just enough to cover the price of all of those gorgeous Bowmans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great Tom! glad you have this one. Guess it's up for grabs! Steve, perhaps? Horton does sign quite a bit but he isn't one you find in product. A lot of opportunity exists for a true fan favorites-type product - the un-Topps. LOL. Not sure why Panini hasn't tried something like this.

      Delete
  5. Cool haul great vintage stuff. Cats & Cards. I'm sure there are photo ops of cats in card boxes. I'm guessing there is also the extra burden of making sure outgoing packages aren't contaminated with cat hairs, fur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops... My kitty helps me package everything. She loves tape! Guess I should get one of those hairless models; a Chinese Crested, I think they're called. If there's been any complaints regarding "packaging by Jingles", I haven't heard it. I really do try to be careful. Not everyone loves cats. I just won't send them anything. LOL!

      Delete
  6. "My house is quickly becoming a storage facility, filled with cats and cards." If that's not the opening line to a chapter in your biography, I don't know what is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not yet an episode of Hoarders but I do have lofty goals!!!

      Delete
  7. I am the same way with refractors and rediscover topps cards in nickel and even dime boxes. Can't pass them up! I hope you leave some good stuff in Taylor, Dennis is going to show me the hot tables there next month since I haven't been back to Taylortown since last summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have fun at the show! My plans changed for the weekend so you'll have no competition from me. :)

      Delete