Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2020

That Time I Wanted a Dolly for Christmas

 I rarely asked for a doll, at Christmas or ever, really. I wanted books, magic tricks, a guitar, stuffed animals but dolls? Meh. Any doll I ever owned was quickly modified by my sister. Oh to be sure, she had her own dolls but using these for makeovers was anathema. Sis cut the hair off mine, took markers and crayons to their faces. She stole their clothes too. My dolls could be found naked and disfigured nearly anywhere in the house. What I wouldn't give to have a few of those moments back. We still laugh about her cosmetology experiments. 

Our mom died in the spring of '75 when I was ten and she, eight. That Christmas was one to forget but I can't. My sister says she doesn't remember but part of me feels she must. This was the year I found out there was no Santa Claus. I somehow knew he would never come again. My dad made some terrible choices. He remarried before Thanksgiving. She was a true 'stepmother', determined to be rid of his kids. Within a couple of years, she had her wish. Where we went and how are their own stories. Many, many years passed before Christmas meant anything to me. As a young adult, I spent a few of them alone.

I don't share this to make anyone sad, nor do I need pity or sympathies. A lot of you share wonderful childhood Christmas memories, most to which I cannot relate. Over the years, I've grown to enjoy Christmas as a season of sharing. I love shopping for friends and giving to those in need. My life experience has given me empathy for those who struggle with the holidays. If you are someone who'll be glad when 2021 is here, I get it. This particular Christmas season is a struggle for many who've never had the holiday blues.  

At Christmastime, I look forward to putting up the tree and holiday decor, and hanging lights in all the places I can still reach. You might say Christmas has thrown up at my house. There's some in every room. The tree has been joined by gifts-a-plenty, scheduled for delivery tomorrow. You can't even see all the gifts in this picture. Wrapping every evening this week has kept me busy and away from the blogs.




CRACKED BAT FAN CLUB



FAN CLUB PRESIDENT











I'd be remiss if I didn't take this opportunity to thank Jon Pennysleeves for the Dolly he sent awhile back. She's a pretty thing and fits nicely into my collection of Presidential spouses. For his fifth blog-a-versary, Jon gave away a fantastic assortment of stars and vintage. I missed out on 1961 Golden Press, 1933 Goudey Indians and a butt-load of other goodies. There were autos and a printing plate. The 1952 Topps Look and See Madison was still available and the first Dolly I've wanted since I was a kid.

 Topps misspelled 'Dolley"

I make merry when I can. This year, I won't be hanging out with friends. I'll miss our evening of feasting and laughter while playing Cards Against Humanity - a game so disgusting and awful it goes against all my personal beliefs and etiquettes. 

Whatever you do, wherever you may be, I wish you a peaceful Christmas and a hopeful New Year. May health and happiness be yours. 

Season's Greetings from Cracked Bat:


[Yes Nine Pockets, there is a tree in the hobby room!]


44 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Julie! It's great to see that you've found the holiday spirit after all these years. Your house looks very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Chris - very festive! I love that collection of cars - are they all from TV shows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a couple - the Bug is from the Disney "Herbie" movies and a Partridge Family bus. I love late model 60s and most 70s autos. Fun stuff!

      Delete
  3. Heat Miser and Snow Miser! Love all the decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three Beatles books and 1776. Interesting.

    Apparently the ancient Egyptians and Greeks had dolls, but not toy cars.

    Anyway, have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I count at least 7 Beatles books there, including a couple I'm not familiar with, which is saying something. Love the Heat Miser and Snow Miser, too.

      Delete
    2. That shelf contains the only "music/rock" themed books I have. There are shelves filled with history and other non-fiction gems. I have a book problem...

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas to you, Julie! Love those stockings on the fireplace. Your house looks so cheery, especially compared to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the colors of the holiday assist with a festive attitude. This year has been harder that most. Something many of us can agree on. Happy New Year!!!

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas. Here’s to peace and good health in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hi there Bill! Thanks for dropping by! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. Merry Christmas! I love the Grinch exhibit you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas and have a wonderful holiday season! Nice nutcracker collection too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas Julie! Great way to tie into the Dolley. It's always fun to learn more about blogger friends and their personal lives, so thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kevin. This post was actually one of the quickest I've written. I guess that's what happens when the heart takes over.

      Delete
  10. This Christmas will be very different for me as well. Normally I'd spend it with my brother in the morning and my friend's family in the afternoon... unless I'm in Vegas with my dad. This year... I'll exchange presents with my friend before she takes off and spend the afternoon with her family. Then I'll zoom with my family from all over the place. It won't be the same... but we make do with the cards we're dealt.

    I've never played Cards Against Humanity myself... but I've heard about it from a few different people and it seems like a lot of fun. Hopefully by Christmas 2021 you'll be hanging out with loved ones playing it again. Happy holidays Julie! Love your Christmas setup. All I have out is a small Lego display. I didn't even bother busting out the fake tree this year.

    P.S. The Heat Miser and Snow Miser figures are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a good holiday and that next year is kind to you. I tried the Zoom thing which was better than no gathering at all. I'm a hugger so not being able to express affection is frustrating. If you ever play "Cards", be prepared to use some awful language. lol.

      Delete
  11. Great decorations! I really like your fireplace/mantle, and count me among the Miser fans too! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas to you! I also love the decorations. Your post has reaffirmed to me that I need to continue to do everything I can to make the holidays super special for my son...even when I'm beyond tired or kind of crabby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A tree in the hobby room -- my question has been answered!

    Thank you Julie, and nice work on the decorations. You've got quite a fan club going! Is there a way us readers can join the club? Send 10 proofs of purchase to a certain P.O. Box, or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, yes it has! This is the first year I put the tree in the window. I haven't had time for the hobby room in a month or so. Why not share the tree with passersby? I'll look into that POB. Not sure about proofs of purchase but cash is always accepted. LOL.

      Delete
  14. Another great post. Very colourful and very well done with the decorations. Both inside and outside the home. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. HO HO HO!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a wonderful New Year! Thanks for your always kind support!!

      Delete
  15. Merry Christmas, Julie! You have a wonderful gift of decorating your home! How festive and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very Merry Christmas to you, Julie! Couldn't help but notice your fine taste in books there, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you would notice. lol. Not the most organized shelf. Most are staged by book size and author. Happy Holidays, Nick!

      Delete
  17. Great pictures, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the Miser brother figures! Merry Christmas !! Keep On Collecting !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is the worlds good fortune that you turned out as well as you did!

    P.S. Hopefully that blue present was for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. You are sweet to think so. I invested a lot of time in "me", working through a lot of hurts and issues that carried into adulthood. While unhappy memories remain, I don't dwell on them. In those times memories resurface. I deal with them head on and move on. Blue is my favorite color. Most of these packages weren't for me so dang, I can't recall now who got the blue ones. I know how to wrap your future Christmas cards now. ;)

      Delete
  20. Empathy is what the world can have a lot more of these days. Merry Christmas Julie and everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Steve! Glad you dropped by! Happy New Year!

      Delete