Pages

Friday, September 18, 2020

GIO - 1970s Series 2 With a Side of Ballot Results

Three weeks ago, I showed off Gio's 70s Baseball Series One release. These are some of my favorite cards from 2020. It's been a tough year for baseball in general. Retail shelves have remained mostly empty. Hobby boxes are scooped up too, almost as quickly. But these! They may be somewhat limited but not impossible to score. And maybe this series should be called Score but for the fact Score didn't give us baseball cards in the 70s. 

Feast upon these 15 beauties and what could have been:






Gio included another 'super' star with young Bench. It's my favorite card in the pack, with Mantle and Munson vying for second place. 

As you well know by now, there is no second place in the Ballot Box contest. There is only one winner. Round four was hard on the Junk Candidates. At times, they seemed to muster some love but 1993 Donruss wasn't having any of that. Pushing Elite-ism, voters bought into its better-than-junk platform. But is it really any better?  Sixteen voters said yes while eight had pity on the Topps/Score ticket. 

Round four winner: Candidate B


If you read my first Gio 70s Series post, then you know I added a few cards to Pick Pockets. This time I'm parting with them here to my trade pals. Six cards are available -one per person. You will see seven but the Dodgers card is already set aside for Night Owl. If he declines, then it's up for grabs. Night Owl, let us know if you want to keep or pass on this card. 

Please, only choose a card if you will keep it in your collection. These little fellas belong in a caring home.  Thank you for supporting this blog! Without further delay...





20 comments:

  1. Feeling relieved you didn't include the '75 Reggie in with the ones up for grabs because I'd have a terrible time deciding. But here it's a no-brainer (although I do love that Bostock). 30-homer Dodgers please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's yours! Congrats on being the 3,000,000 View Man!

      Delete
  2. These are so cool! Gio's a master. Tough choice but I'd love the Willie Randolph if it's still available - a Short Term Stops legend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put him aside for you. It will come with your next Pick Pockets unless you'd like it sooner. :)

      Delete
  3. I would like the Bostock if I'm eligible, please. Maybe it will ease the pain of backing another failed candidate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what??? of course you are eligible, Elliptical! You should be picking my pockets. I owe you a few cards. Bostock is all yours!

      Delete
  4. Good stuff, I enjoy seeing these on your blog. Surprised they aren't all claimed yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Series three is at the printers now. Can't wait to see what's next!

      Delete
  5. Those are some great looking cards that GIO did there I there.I have about 500 differnt 1979 Topps cards,and another about 100 different from the 1975 Topps.I think the 1978 Topps design is my favorite from the whole decade:).

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome. I'd be interested in the A's Williams if nobody else claimed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was no way that the '93 Donruss wasn't going to win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but it was fun watching the 89 duo take a few votes!

      Delete
  8. A bit late to the party here but yay for 93 Donruss, one of my favorite Donruss sets ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the winner pulls a nice Elite though seeing this will kill me. lol

      Delete