Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2020

Bo Stuffs the Ballot Box

It's hard to avoid election talk. Concerns over absentee ballots and currently slowed mail service have a lot of us voicing our opinions.  I'm here to tell you, someone is out there stuffing the ballot box. I've been the recipient of several bribe attempts recently, with three of these stuffed envelopes coming from our own Bo Rozny, Baseball Cards Come to Life!

With three elections rounds and three envelopes, Bo is leading with six votes. Voting is about to ramp up too because I have stuff to move. I don't foresee Bo missing an opportunity to cast his A or B vote!

I'm not a difficult bribe either. Card from my wantlist are like cash. Here are a few of the bills I found in these envelopes.  Set help for 2011 Lineage and 2013 Topps 72 Minis! These were listed on my Send Help tab. Bo pays attention!  In case I wasn't aware Bo was hitting up my wantlist, he included the Ripken as a big fat hint.



Three of my favorite HOFers!  While I'm not actively pursuing cards for these PCs, new additions to their collections are always welcome! 1995 Stadium Club and 1993 SP were two of my favorite rips in the 90s.  SP was one of my first set builds. I still think it's one of the more beautiful sets from that decade.



2002 Upper Deck World Series Heroes - I love the red white and blueness of the design and the generous use of foil. Backs feature a World Series game stat. Hard to beat the checklist too. With 180 cards, it would appear I have a looong way to go. These three bring my total to 27 cards.  I'm only interested in the first 90 so it's nearly 1/3 complete!



I'm also dabbling in subsets. You would think some much easier to complete than others. I've been battling to find 1991 Score Dream Team cards. Score!?!?  I still need the Alomar, card 887.  All 90s Score Dream Teams and Studio Heritage are going into a small binder together. I can't begin to guess how many of  the DTs I gave away in Salvation Army donations.



I like the overall design of 76 & 79 Topps but only want a few special cards from each year. These include The Sporting News All-Time All Stars  and All-Time Record Holders subsets. Is this too much to ask? Bo didn't think so.  As I'm writing this, Lou Brock has just passed at 81 years of age. Rest in Peace, Lou. Thank you for the memories of a wild 1968 World Series!

Cards near and dear to my heart - OKC 89ers!


A sweet vintage Blackhawk from 76-77 Topps! I like this design. The team name is bold and bright against the white background. WHITE.  Topps just can't let a good thing be.


Bo, thank you for the mail-in votes!!  It's fun adding these totals to my spreadsheet! Good luck on Election Day!

Folks, remember your name will be added to the Great Randomizer equivalent to the number of times you voted. Every vote counts.

CANDIDATE A

Our most recent candidates A) 2019 Optic and B) Contenders Draft Picks were not the match I'd hoped. Shiny Optic won this round 12-6. What this means is only 18 people voted.  Hate to see folks missing opportunities but it does increase the odds that a regular reader will take home the Ballot Box!

I'm gathering new candidates for the next round. Do I hear the sound of ripping in a winner's future?

22 comments:

  1. That 1976 Hockey design came just before I started collecting hockey cards as a kid, so it's like a previously unreleased track from your favorite band... New goodness from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a sharp design! Makes me wanna hoard these. My hockey binder is full. I have only a few pages inside reserved for vintage.

      Delete
  2. Are you old enough for that Rickey card?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang. I just saw the news on Lou about 30 minutes ago. Anyways... those 1976 TSN All-Time All Stars are one of my favorite subsets from the 70's. Great looking cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really gone a bit nuts for subsets lately. I went nuts in general, a few years ago.

      Delete
  4. Didn't know about Lou Brock until I saw this. Too bad. Was actually able to get a brief blurb from him on cards. The only HOFer I'd gotten to do so.
    Glad you like the cards I sent! Some more UD WS may already be on it's way to you . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say - I like the way you vote!!! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Love those '72 Topps minis--makes me even more eager to rip 2021 Topps Heritage! Score did a great job with those '91 Dream Team cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see a lot of ripping in my 2021 Heritage future. Yeah, I could buy the set. Probably will. But oh, how I love this design!

      Delete
  6. I forgot all about those Dream Team card from Score. The Rickey is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cast away so many of these cards. And now...NOW??? I must have them. MUST! Those stupid Fleer Pro-visions just went on my list too. Grrrr, I get mad at me.

      Delete
  7. I can definitely help you with 2011 Lineage, as I had been building it (for years) but just received the full set from Nachos Grande. I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ, that would be awesome. I'll start a search for Yankee cardboard.

      Delete
  8. I'm way behind on reading blogs and commenting (55-60 hr work weeks will do that to you) and heck, even doing some blogging on my own ... but that's a nice lot of cards that Bo sent over! Looking forward to seeing what the next round of contenders are for the ballot box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life gets busy! We all understand that! Glad you dropped by. May be time to let some boxes battle it among you all.

      Delete
  9. 1993 SP is one of my all-time faves, too (it will get a lot of ink on my new blog .) I'm also working on 2011 Topps Lineage; got a big chunk of the set from Greg of The Collective Mind.

    Bo certainly stuffed the box. Nice to see some '89ers sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had some dupes for your Lineage build but I gave all mine away. Weren't even dupes yet....I am so dumb. Chris, I'm checking out your new page. 1993 was the year I began collecting (or hoarding?) so it's nostalgic for me.

      Delete
  10. Lou Gehrig's card is one of the best from the Lineage set, which is saying a lot considering how many terrific images are contained within that set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could've finished this set two or three years ago if I'd kept these cards. Makes me shake my head and mutter out loud to myself. In public of course, for the full shaming effect.

      Delete
  11. The thing I love about Lineage is seeing some of those old black and white photos in color.

    ReplyDelete