Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2020

VOTE FOR A CRACKED BAT !

Today begins a months' long journey to Election Day, Tuesday November 4th.  My previous post shared an overview of what you can expect to find in the Cracked Bat Ballot Box. It's possible you won't like the item offered. I encourage you to vote for the candidate you hate least - you know, the lesser of two evils. There will be fun items offered - new, old and...vintage.  More to like or love than not! I will track your votes with the help of a nonpartisan assistant. Your names will be entered into the final drawing, equivalent to the number of times you voted.

Voting opportunities may be a standalone post or found within one of my outlandishly creative ventures.  Basic rules will be available each time as a reminder:



I apologize in advance, for the questionable quality of these shots taken with my 5 year old phone. With election proceeds, I'm purchasing a high-end smart phone with elaborate camera capabilities. Oh wait... I'm not making one RED cent during this election! And now, without further ado, here are your first Cracked Bat Candidates:


A)  1987 SPORTFLICS TEAM PREVIEW SET
26 cards plus 26 team logo/trivia minis.  This set contains the only 1987 MLB card featuring Tom Glavine.  Checklist here.


CANDIDATE A


B) 1988 TOPPS GLOSSY SEND-INS
60 card set. Available through mail-in offer. Contains several HOFers.  Checklist here.


CANDIDATE B

Both are common oddball sets from the 80s but aren't often seen. Sportflics was somewhat unique in its time. Topps Glossy contains many stars and fan favorites. Take a look at the checklist links and choose your candidate wisely. The loser of this round may or may not, be seen again.  The winner goes into the Ballot Box!  Thank you for being loyal to this blog. Let the voting begin!

*************

Also in my previous post , I shared my fireworks display. A friend filmed my short but fun finale from 4th of July evening. She didn't turn her phone for landscape viewing. Her husband is the pyro who assisted me. Next year, we are fusing the cakes together for better timing. We had a blast!



70 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey! The first official voter in the Cracked Bat elections! Good Luck!! It will be a long season! Hope you stick it out!

      Delete
  2. Sending in my vote for Candidate B.

    The Topps Glossy Posse will not be defeated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voter two! The posse is a nice card in hand. Great 80s player selection too!

      Delete
  3. The fireworks were a Blast. Upper Case B as in Blast is my vote. If there were penalties in BaseBall I would get 2 minutes for Interference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred, I knew I could count on you to throw a vote into the mix!

      Delete
  4. I will go with letter A, the Sportflics set

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohio Tim! Welcome to Election Season! How did you find the blog?

      Delete
  5. I think I have to vote A because it's an unusual design, as opposed to the glossy send-ins which were the same every year. I do see the send-ins in dime boxes but I don't think I've seen those Sportflics cards anywhere. And one card with *12* of those classic Mets is pretty awesome, even if it has McReynolds who wasn't on the champion team the year before (and I'd have gone with HoJo or Orosco over Dave Magadan, but that's nitpicking).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B.A. Thanks for joining us! I like your reasoning!

      Delete
  6. Um, I dunno, lets see, maybe no, yeah okay. wait, I got it now. I vote for "a"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see a beautiful Alan Trammell card... I VOTE for "B."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two worthy candidates here...but I'm voting "B".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having a hard time deciding, but . . . A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see an Expos card in the Sportflics, so I have to go with A..
    *tamper tamper* lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've ever seen A before! It gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Casting a vote for B.

    Junk wax = voter fraud. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if wrapper fits...! I laughed, all alone. Glad someone else go a chuckle!

      Delete
  13. Hi Julie - Casting a vote for B.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I vote for B, have liked that set since I first mailed away for it

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two great options, but Sportflics was my second ever set build.
    I vote for A.
    Your finale was great! We always fuse things together at my Dad's big blowout and it makes for a wonderful show. I get a package of fuse and bring my blue painters tape with me and hook 'em together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had a lot of fun! Blue tape is a collector's best friend. Ranks right up there with duct tape. We had four large finale cakes which took four of us to light. It worked out well. A is a great choice. I had no idea the voting would be so close.

      Delete
  16. Nice job on the fireworks!

    This inaugural showdown was a close match for me, but I'm going to select candidate A. Sportflics were pretty cool back in 1987, and I think the fact you provided about the Tom Glavine card might have just swayed me enough to make a confident choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niner! That Flics set is looking pretty good to me right now. Hope it doesn't drop out of the race! Lol.

      Delete
  17. Voting for B. I am an unpatriotic radical centrist who doesn't care for SportFlics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Shlabby, I'll pass the message along. The feeling is likely mutual. heh eh eh eh....

      Delete
  18. Are you calling November 4 Super Tuesday, or is it really called Super Tuesday? Because I thought Super Tuesday is during the primary season. I'm going with A because I've never seen the team cards before.

    Nice job with the fireworks! Way more complicated than my friends and I would ever do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a SUPER Tuesday because we are giving away a box full of hobby joy! My little spin on the election season follows the basics with a cracked twist. I'm the decider - to quote a former President.

      Delete
  19. Voting A. Tough choice, Topps cards SSPC like photo and not gooped up with logos and Topps. But actual photos look boring so will go for the oddball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS those fireworks were great! I’d vote for those too but don’t want to be a ballot stuffer :-)

      Delete
    2. Stuffer - lol! Oddball it is!

      Delete
  20. Like most American voters, I vote based on who I'd rather have a beer with. I'd rather have a beer with Sportflics. All the way with letter A!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it! "B" is definitely more for tea drinkers.

      Delete
  21. A. Sportflics never gets the respect it deserves and this is a set I'm not even heard of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's different. Like a candidate should be. I love your Kaline story, by the way. You own a unique auto with a grand tale to tell. Now that he's gone, the card to me anyway, is 100 times more special.

      Delete
  22. B! Sportflics are cool, but Topps Glossies are better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, you voted as I'd guessed you might. I have a glossy set in my 80s binder. Glossies are attractive in their simplicity.

      Delete
  23. I have a soft spot for those mail-in glossys! My vote is for candidate B!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh, we're getting a run on Candidate B. Someone been out there lobbying??

      Delete
  24. My first inclination is for the SportFlics, which are definitely cooler than the glossies. But the mini trivia things are and add-on that I wouldn't want, so I gotta go B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gotta say the trivia minis are annoying. Kinda like having Sarah Palin as your running mate.

      Delete
  25. Replies
    1. Josh! Welcome. We've both been around awhile. How come we've never traded? Someday, we need to fix that. Thanks for voting!

      Delete
  26. Replies
    1. "A" was my candidate all they way. Not sure if Mr. FLics will pull out a victory now.

      Delete
  27. Replies
    1. Derek, welcome back! You are a man of few words, getting right to the point. Ever thought about running for office??

      Delete
  28. THE POLLS ARE CLOSED. Thank you for voting.

    ReplyDelete