Pages

Saturday, July 18, 2020

The Man With the Golden Age

In 1955, Frank Sinatra starred in the classic drama, The Man with the Golden Arm. Frank portrays a drug addict who gets clean while in prison. Once released, he struggles to stay clean. The actual drug is apparently never identified in the movie but it's believed to be heroin. I'm a fairly straight-laced gal. I've never been interested in drugs of any kind and can't begin to imagine the struggles of the drug addict.

Not you, Cowboy
If it is one, my addiction is that to which many collectors can relate. Cardboard. As some addicts say, I can quit any time.  Yeah, sure I can. Covid-umpteenth has made it much easier to say no to the new stuff but I do miss the smell of Panini Prizm.  So maybe I'm getting my new card high one piece at a time?  I won't say, but eBay is such a pusher. Still, there are other ways to get my fix. Sometimes it takes a blog pal; the man with Golden Age.

Tip Top - Bread For Energy.  Personally, I like to spend mine.
2013 Panini Golden Age. I miss this product! Golden Age managed to tickle that space in my brain dedicated to the 60s and 70s.  Goldy also included those old dead guy ballplayers I've oft mentioned. So who was it out there that sought to fill a void in my collection? Who knew I needed these cards, and quickly?  Jon Pennysleeves. He went right down my list, crossing off card after card, after card, so on and so forth, ad infinitum. Well, maybe not endlessly but as much as the mailer would allow which was 55 cards plus an oversized hero.

DeLong - for the good old days


Playing Cards - care to join me in a game of Solitaire?


All that remains is the faces and the names, of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

What a sweet fix! Every one of these cards was on my wantlist. Jon made a huge dent in this set. Those remaining are:


I've been chasing the inserts but in my heart of hearts, I know the base cards are in my future. I've decided to dedicate a binder to Golden Age. Oh yes. And where does this slippery slope lead - 2012 or 2014, the only other years for G.A.?  Is it possible for one to fall down both sides of said slope?

Even with all these ageless beauties, Jon knew it wasn't enough. So into the mailer went Bazookas.

2017 ARCHIVES  '59 Bazookas, obtained in the Covid 19 era 2020


SIX CARDS TO GO


He topped it off with confetti!!

2011 Topps Kimball Champions minis
Kimballs don't appear to be overly popular but I've loved these since I spied them at a 2015 card show. Yep, that's right. Fours years after release. I didn't return to collecting until 2012. At that time, I was asking - who is Mike Trout?  Holy moly, Jon! You are a crazy man. And for that, I am thankful!

Still a chunk left...

Let's switch gears a moment, for an announcement. It's time to follow-up on our first election battle between candidates 87 Sportflics Team Preview Set and 88 Topps Glossy Send-Ins. Of the 34 total votes, two were foreign interference, one for each candidate. I love this twist! With voting this close, it is possible our northern neighbors could actually sway an election! In this case however, the outcome would have been the same: 18 for Sportflics and 16 for Glossy.  Topps fared well and could be seen again at a later date.  Sportflics goes into the ballot box! Every voter has been recorded, along with their selection. Another opportunity is coming soon.

Sportsflics tells the Real One to stick it.

Jon's generosity is well-known. There were a lot of smiles in that mailer including an Exhibits box topper featuring 60s/70s hero, Evel Knievel. He was a crazy stunt biker who wasn't always successful. Knievel's history of crashes is the stuff of legend.  Evel's image in his red, white and blue suit with cape are burned into my memory. The jump that made him famous and nearly killed him, was over the fountains of Caesar's Palace in 1967. This card was a BIG want; a timeless image. Until I have a Golden Age binder, this will fit perfectly into the pop culture collection. Thank you, Jon!










31 comments:

  1. I can't believe Sportflics took down Topps. That's so exciting!
    Jon sent some real goodies in that package. Golden Age is a wonderful set and I may have to look into collecting that one some day. The DeLong inserts are so vintage-y!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Flics gave the Real One a run for it. Was hoping for a large margin so Topps could be properly spanked. lol. Inserts in GA are usually excellent. Base designs are questionable but the checklists are usually fun.

      Delete
  2. Heroin, Evel Knievel, and a ship wreck. Seems fitting for that disaster of an election.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to live two doors away from Nick Knievel, Evel's brother. Robbie used to come visit and jump our bicycles on his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a fun story! It would be an added bonus to say he made all of you lay head to toe while he jumped the length of your group of friends! Even if it's not true... ;)

      Delete
  4. Jon certainly is da man. Awesome cards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this make Jon an enabler? Is there such a thing as CCA (Card Collectors Anonymous)? Should we worry that if we don't hear from you for a few weeks that you're covered in a pile of cardboard somewhere?

    Humor aside, I like those DeLong cards. First time I've seen them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there is a CCA, we should be "card-carrying" members. Lol! Enabler may well be his middle name.

      Delete
    2. Hah! Nice one there, Julie. I can already picture a CCA member trying to trade their CCA card to someone in exchange for baseball cards.

      Delete
  6. A very nice selection of cards. Also looking forward to some future interference. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for being involved! I wish shipping 5lbs+ to CN was affordable.

      Delete
  7. A very nice package from that Charles Dickens character Mr. Jon Pennysleeves! I didn't know there was an Exhibit-y boxtopper for Golden Age, I might have to look into that.

    I've got a couple of Cowboy Junkies albums and I haven't listened to any of them lately. I shall have to rectify that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW... I've got a 2017 Archives Bazooka Bryce Harper 59B-5 set aside for you and it should be going out this week

      Delete
    2. Harpy for me? Cool! TY! One more off the list! I tried to enjoy the Junkies but never really got into them.

      Delete
  8. Go sportfix! It’s the candidate we need right now lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more! The Sportflics Party! Actually that sounds more like a real party, with hats and alcohol.

      Delete
  9. I've always had an addictive personality... but thankfully I've never been into drugs. Things like candy and cards are my weakness.

    P.S. Panini Golden Age and Kimball Champions are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. candy and cards...no coffee? Coffee and cards for me. Good to hear you never fought the drug battle.

      Delete
    2. Oooh. Coffee too. Good call.

      Delete
  10. I especially love the evil Knievel. Brings back some great memories watching him live on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad loved him. My earliest memory - and it's vague - is the Snake River jump.

      Delete
  11. That's quite a mailer. I don't know enough about Panini Golden Age but now I'm inspired to look at the checklist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many great subject - history, Hollywood, tv, all sports, Deadball Players (whom I love) - the Golden Age.

      Delete
  12. So THAT'S where I need to send all the extra base and inserts from past Golden Age rips of mine. Oh - you are now collecting all three years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who dat? Miss your presence on the blogs! If you feel so inclined to dump on me. I do enjoy the inserts - and the base? My arm could be twisted. Hope you are well! I've had a stack of cards on my desk for you, oh say, for a year or more.

      Delete
  13. Wow, that close! Were ties addressed in the original rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not expecting a tie but that's what recounts are for! lol!

      Delete
  14. This post basically sums up why I love Golden Age so much! Where else are you gonna find cards of Buck Weaver & Evel Knievel in the same product?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Not sure why Panini hasn't given us another edition. Perhaps they think they went as far as they could with it.

      Delete