Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Valentines, Spring Flowers and a Broken Heart

How's that for a girly title? Come on guys, don't be afraid to show your softer side. It's healthy. There are many ways to win a woman's heart. Candy and flowers are sweet things but flowers die and candy meets its own end, sometimes quickly. Some ladies like a big spender. Me? I'm a simple gal. I like a thoughtful card and lots of 'em!

I opened my mailbox on February 14th to find yet another package from Johnny. He filled a fat little mailer with a hundred or so cards. Nothing says Happy Valentine's Day like pink O-Pee-Chees!
A Whitman's Sampler of the contents:



Take a peek at their backsides. Blush. You'll learn why Mark was 'the Bird' and Parrish, 'The Bodyguard'.  Hint: not Whitney Houston. 




The position of 'receveur' is easily understood to mean catcher, one who receives the ball. 'Voltigeur' is translated a bit differently: as sharpshooter or light infantry in the French army or 'tumbler, leaper, vaulter' for which outfielders have a tendency. 

Another receveur, numbered of 25, a rainbow foil Stadium Club:



Here's a gem I'd waited months to get my hands on! I wouldn't mind having a couple more copies of this one. Look closely and you'll see 13 lost souls waiting for the gates to open. Most likely a special giveaway day. These have been known to draw the larger crowds. 



I'll take this opportunity to show a close-up of the cat prowling along the stadium roof line, upper left on the card. These photos were taken in 2018:






Not three weeks later, a bouquet of Forget-Me-Nots arrived, again from John. Filled with more cards, it was hard to choose a few to share. I went with another receveur, Mickey Tettleton. Mickey was named for THE Mick, both good ole' Oklahoma boys. 

Featuring 93 Stadium Club and 93 Fun Pack, top row; 95 Topps and 95 Stadium Club, bottom:


I'm still a fan of Fun Pack, another of my sets longing for completion. All the wild colors that came at the end of the 80s, wrapped right into the early 90s and onto these cards.  If I have any memories of those days, they are at least colorful. The bottom cards though, are some of what I've come to love most in my collection: those moments between innings, or at bats. Some shots are reflective, quiet; revealing the stillness of the game when players are 'in the moment.' The photographer certainly was. I find these images soothing.

Forget-Me-Nots
What else could John possibly send my way? By now, I should know better than to ask.  Johnny runs a little game on the side. Every Friday night, five contestants have a chance to choose a number or steal cards previously revealed. Player one usually loses their little prize. I went third. Normally, I pop-in to encourage other players to thievery. It's just the peace loving soul I am. I figured karma would show her face during my round but no one stole my 75 minis! John sent these along with a crisp 1976 Kelloggs! Sweet!


John is always looking for players. He currently needs two more for the fourth Friday this month. He asks only that you be available to play on your chosen Friday night.  John wants to begin and end the game within 2-3 hours. If you are up for it, run over there and comment to let him know.  

John, thank you as always! You're full of surprises!!



Much has been written this week about the passing of Al Kaline, our Mr. Tiger.  In my quest to meet all living Tigers from the 68 World Series team, Kaline eluded me. I was once only twenty feet from him but during the Q&A session, no autographs were allowed. My next opportunity was last year at a signing in a local mall but Little League took precedence. My then ten year old friend was playing an afternoon game and I rarely get an opportunity to support him. Now Kaline is gone. The 68 team is slowly moving towards permanent residence in our hearts and memories. 

I nabbed his rookie card last year.  An additional few of my favorites which to my knowledge, haven't been shared this week. Two of my favorite Topps designs, 58 and 72:






2019 Topps SSP from the 68 World Series:


and two from 1983 The Al Kaline Story:




Farewell Mr. Tiger.


30 comments:

  1. Nice post, Julie. I really enjoyed your pictures of the tiger statues at Comerica. I remember being so impressed by the one at ground level when I visited there 10+ years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Comerica Park well enough but so loved the Ballpark in Arlington, may it RIP. It had that old park feel.

      Delete
  2. If only every woman enjoyed cardboard gifts as much as you! My wife once did, but she's stopped collecting long ago and become a "responsible adult." Pssh.

    The early '80s OPC Tigers are great, but that Kaline photo variation really grabbed my attention. I've never seen it before and it's fantastic. And I must have missed your earlier post about his rookie card! Quite a nice Kaline collection you have. It's too bad you didn't get to meet him. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much Chris! The Kaline SSP is one of the finest short prints I've seen in ages. As far as a gal loving cardboard - that may not always be the best thing. My idea of a cardboard diamond ring is a Cobb T206 grade 4+. LOL.

      Delete
  3. Nice post. I made it to the second to last game at old Tiger Stadium, and hope sometime to make it up there to see the "new" one. Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Tiger Stadium, I never had an opportunity. The new park has a nice view of the downtown skyline. The outfield walls are high enough to hide any view of neighborhood blight.

      Delete
  4. Oh man, that OPC Fidrych is sweet! Definitely need to track that one down.

    I was also really sad to hear about Mr. Kaline. I picked up that '83 Kaline Story set for a song not long ago, and it's so cool. Provided a great timeline of Kaline's career with a ton of fantastic photos. Also that '72 Topps is one of my favorite vintage cards...period. I'm not sure why it appeals so much to me, but it does. RIP, Mr. Tiger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that 72. I'm not sure if it's the pose, seemingly nonchalant or the background. Many great cards in the Kaline Story. Neat you have a set too!

      Delete
  5. Despite living in PA, I've made it Tiger Stadium twice in my lifetime. Once on a trip from Toronto to Detroit then down to Cincinnati. Fun times for sure! I very much enjoy the statues around the stadium, and that little bar on the corner (I've forgotten the name but I've eaten there twice now)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you refer to Cheli's Chili Bar which closed at the end of 2018? Tiger Stadium twice? For not living close by, that's impressive. No doubt those trips were fun.

      Delete
  6. Never heard of the Kaline story set - looks cool. I learned something new with that tidbit about Mickey Tettleton's name - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many great cards in the set. The two I shared were my favorites. I busted a second set. Maybe I'll add some of those to a future round of PPs.

      Delete
  7. Always excited to see your posts come up on ye olde blog roll.

    Iw blessed to meet Al Kaline twice. No words can describe how nervous I was.

    God bless Mr. Tiger. 🐯⚾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice you had those opportunities, John. The players I've met have always been friendly, even ole McLain. Gotta watch your wallet around that guy tho.

      Delete
  8. Oh how I wish there were more females who enjoyed receiving lots of thoughtful cards, instead of nice dinners, shiny jewelry, and in my case... 70's Pyrex.

    P.S. I've never seen that 2019 card of Kaline. I love it! That last card is pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 70s Pyrex?!?!?!?! There are gals around who love that stuff! And they aren't all in their 70s either. LOL. The SSP is gorgeous, and worth waiting to find at a good price. It's sold anywhere from $15 last month to $150+ since his passing.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you! I picked it up a year ago. I don't buy graded cards but in this case, it was too good to pass on.

      Delete
  10. Al Kaline's passing brought back two memories. The first would be the mid sixties. I had saved enough money from my paper route to purchase the Strat-O-Matic baseball game. The Tigers were one of the eight teams my brother and I selected. The other memory is from the eighties. I live in a rural area and when satellite/cable TV was available the TV stations originated from Detroit. Listened to George Kell and Al Kaline broadcast Tiger's games. A great pair. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stratomatic - how fun! Whatever happened to yours? Kell and Kaline? Thanks for the idea! I just found Opening Day 1984 on Youtube!!!

      Delete
  11. That last Kaline card is the perfect way to say good bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I thought so too. The open sky and Tiger Stadium are wrapped around him as he walks into eternity. Dramatic maybe, but it's what I felt looking over his cards.

      Delete
  12. We went to Comerica Park a few years ago on the way to visit family in Windsor. It was my boys' first MLB park. They lost to the Yankees (got to sed Ichiro though) but we had a good time in the left field bleachers. They were impressed with the tiger sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big sculptures do make a large impression. Now, if they only played like said tigers, we'd be in a series! Glad you have good memories sharing this game with your boys.

      Delete
  13. I really love that 2019 Topps of Comerica Park,as well as the pictures you took of the sculptures there.Those cards that you got sent from Johnny also look cool I think.2 of my favorite Topps baseball card designs ever are in this blog,the 1975 and 2019 ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello Gary! I truly appreciate you reading the blog. It always great to hear feedback, thoughts and ideas. I wasn't fond of the 2019 design but do love that Kaline!

      Delete