Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2019

PSA: Adding a Big One to the Collection

Today's PSA goes out to a couple of bloggers I intended to thank in my previous post. Matt with Diamond Jesters offered recommendations for the Lenovo I was pursuing regarding the drive and processor.  Steve at 1975 Baseball Cards and I exchanged several emails with tips to modify pre-installed software and walk me through some techy steps over my head.  Thanks much guys! What an awesome community we have! I'm grateful to be included among this group!

Gainfully employed again, it's safe to spend a bit more freely. Though I'll be making less, the benefits of  working so close to home freed up funds!  I'll use less than 5 gallons of gas per month! I was filling up 4-5 times monthly at an average of $40 per! A card I once thought unobtainable is now a permanent resident! No sense in dragging out this announcement.  Please meet Mr. Tiger, Al Kaline  in his 1954 Topps card debut:



BOTH SIDES NOW



It isn't perfect, which would truly make this card impossible on my budget. The number of graded cards I own can be counted on Three Finger Brown's right hand. The card being graded gave me confidence to know this Kaline is authentic...and the price was right!

It presents well with no creasing plus good centering and color.  While not PSA, SGC is a well respected vintage grading company. Most importantly, I look at this card and see Mr. Tiger in all his youthful glory, hitting and fielding his way to the Hall of Fame. It's a sweet addition. Only three Topps cards from his playing days are missing from the PC: 56, 66 and 75.  The 71 needs replacing.

 ***

While I have your attention, I want to show off another addition  - this one to my bookcase. It's a rare occasion when Ty Cobb isn't the main focus of my Tiger collection.

A VERY AGREEABLE COBB


This man says yes to everything I ask. What gal wouldn't like that? I can't however, get him to put the bat down. His closest neighbor is the amiable James McCann so I don't foresee a rumble in the night. Although, even a polite and quiet Honus Wagner once busted Cobb in the mouth!     

Thanks for reading!        

30 comments:

  1. Holy Smokes, awesomeness!
    I hope to own a Mr. Tiger RC one day...congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! never thought I'd own one either, John. Hope you do too!

      Delete
  2. That's huge, congrats! I'm totally jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, 2 Many! What? You don't own one yet? I'm kinda surprised! Don't be jealous. I won't eat for two weeks.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Nick, thank you! I love vintage more all the time!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you are having a hell of a week! Truly a great way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shlabby, it's been a good week! Even made it through my first day at the new job w/o the first day jitters! It's laid back, jeans and sneakers every day and a five minute drive...unless I get stuck behind a tractor.

      Delete
  5. Al Kaline didn't have a base card in '75, just the Record Breakers card (#4). If that is the one you need I have one to trade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the one. Let me see what I can come up with for a switch-a-roo! Thanks Bo!

      Delete
  6. Amazing card, congrats on the pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your sense of baseball humor! "The number of graded cards I own can be counted on Three Finger Brown's right hand."
    Congrats on the fuzzy cornered Kaline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P-Tom, I chuckled writing that line but it is the truth. I prefer cards that can be held. The texture on old cardboard is hard to beat. I could break it out of its plasticized prison but then I'd likely misplace it. ;) Harder to lose this way! lol!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations Julie! That's one heck of an addition to your Tigers collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji! Not much can top this one except maybe...some much older Ty Cobb!

      Delete
  9. That's a great card.. congrats! And good news about the computer and gas usage, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Howdy! Welcome to the community! Thanks much for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Happy to help and great to read about your new card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks again Steve! Now that the wireless is working, this machine is fantastic. I can't believe how quickly it boots and shuts down!

      Delete
  12. Glad to see that you're back in the game!

    ReplyDelete