Pages

Friday, April 3, 2020

Hey Nineteen!

How is everyone doing? Michigan Covid-19 numbers are climbing the charts. I've been going into the office every day, even after our Governor signed the executive 'stay-at-home' order for non-essential employees.  It's taken my employer awhile but he found a way to keep us home. I was laid off this week, for at least the month of April.

2018-19 MVP

I've never drawn unemployment in my life but had no choice. Becoming unemployed actually took a bit of stress off me. One of my coworkers thinks it's ok to shop at Walmart, Target and Meijer because she is bored at home. I can't help but find that selfish, not only to her coworkers but to the grocery workers.  She's inviting trouble. Roulette anyone?

Pick Pockets have not been mailed but I hope to do so in a week or two.  I can't imagine being a window clerk at the post office right now. I'll do my part ordering stamps online. If I pay a little too much to mail these envelopes, so be it. The post office needs the revenue right now. 

My vivacious and outgoing personality aside, staying home will be easy for me. Music, reading, cards - all will be good company. I'm blessed with lots of outdoor space. The weather is warming up nicely. Perhaps I can actually get some sunshine on my shoulders, and a little work done.  I plan to do a lot of mini-set sorting too.  Many  of the cards I need will be added to the Send Help tab on this blog.

2018-2019 UD 
In addition to the PP page - so juvenile, like me -  I'll be adding a new trade tab, title to be named later. You'll find cards here specific to trading for cards on the Send Help tab. Each card will note how many of your cards are needed in order to trade for it. After sorting out my little sets, I'll list the missing cards. There should be much to choose from as my needs are numerous. Let's see if I can get this done in April. Any of you want to place bets on my success?


Sooner Buddy Hield, Sacramento Kings /99


Sooner Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks
Perhaps. Perhaps I'll even manage a little extra blog time! My trade folder scans are quickly accumulating!  The cards featured today were received in February courtesy of  Sportscards from the Dollar Store.   Doug tucked in a couple of Sooners along with the Blackhawks shown. All are quite nice.

2018-19 Synergy  /749

My favorites in the batch though are these 2019-20 Artifacts. The etching in the foil corners is quite elegant:



 Good-looking cards here!  Thank you Doug, for thinking of me!

I hope all of you continue to be well, and remain safe from the virus. It must be a struggle for those accustomed to the hustle and bustle of life but there are positive aspects to be found in this trying time.  If you are able, try to focus on the good that can be done for others; either by staying home, or random acts of kindness when you find yourself in the midst of others. Even if it's letting someone go ahead of you in the line, or a kind word to the clerk at the store, these moments are appreciated.

We can't dance together, we can't talk at all - who knew?????  Steely Dan.



34 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the layoff, that stinks, I've been there before. Keep your chin up though, you'll get through this.
    I hope to get a package of cards together for you soon. Problem is I'm out of stamps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom! I appreciate the encouragement. No rush on a trade. I have yet to mail your picks!

      Delete
  2. Be safe, be well. Enjoy a little down time. But absolutely no cats, hotdogs or cracked bats

    ReplyDelete
  3. "She don't remember, the Queen of Soul"

    Well, we're all in quarantine, baby, you're gonna learn.

    I wish it was getting warmer around here. I don't mind being shut in, but I'd feel a lot better if I could get out in the yard and do something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or even crack open a window and feel the breeze and fresh air come in. That would be nice, too!
      Hang in there, Julie!

      Delete
    2. Hope you're on a warming trend, Greg! And Tom, I did open a window this week! Fresh air is so nice after the house has been closed up for months!

      Delete
  4. Artifacts always has a classy, if occasionally busy design for their products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you do find nice cards to share. these were my first Artis!

      Delete
  5. Almost 94% of us are being thoughtful and conscientious about the health of others by staying home. The other 6% are needlessly endangering the health of household members and others. Doctors, nurses, virus victims and the rest of us certainly do not appreciate that. Stay safe Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BBC, thanks! I'm well and looking for trouble. ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm still working at the office (we're an essential business because we do sanitizing work) but we're taking all the precautions and I haven't been to the post office (or a store) in a while.

    Hopefully you'll have some nice Spring weather to enjoy in your backyard. I'll check your set building tabs to see if I can help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yikes, Chris! Do stay well, and away from co-workers. :) Any set help is appreciated. I'll be adding needed cards in the next week of so.

      Delete
  7. Oh man... I was gonna go on a rant about selfish people... but there's too much negativity in the world right now. Plus... when I clicked play on the video... it took me back to when I was an ice cream scooper at Thrifty's. That song was on the store's playlist and I'd have to listen to it over and over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rant away, if necessary. they are popping up everywhere. I'm not much of a Steely Dan fan, and certainly not this song, but it keeps popping into my head lately. I thought by sharing the video, the ear-worm would move on to the next innocent reader. As for me, I haven't thought once about it since posting!

      Delete
  8. I am sorry that you were laid off. And I hope that you aren't out of work for too long. Thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steiny! I'm most certain my job is secure. We are a niche service provider. It may be slow for awhile but the company will survive.

      Delete
  9. I just joined the "laid off for April" club a few days ago. Gonna have to look into collecting unemployment for the first time -- can't imagine how overwhelmed they must be right now. I've enjoyed the downtime but I really hope all this blows over sooner rather than later. Stay safe, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, I was lucky to get through to the MI site the first time. Hope to receive my first check in the upcoming week. Good luck to you!!! Downtime is nice enough for me anyway but the reasons of course, are more than sad. Hang tough!

      Delete
  10. Good luck on the layoff, hopefully it's only temporary. Will look out for your list changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Bo! I expect to return on the first Monday in May.

      Delete
  11. Hope you stay well to Julie. It's a crazy time right now and hopefully you will have a job back when this is all said and done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy usually suits me but not so much this time. I do expect to return to work in a couple more weeks. Thanks SCC, and be well!

      Delete
  12. I am doing fine. I believe your layoff will be temporary. Having things to do is good to pass the time. This blog, cards and most anything to occupy your mind is good. Looking forward to the changes to your lists. Thanks for the interesting post. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remain well, Fred! Hopefully your outdoor temps are on the rise too. I'm ready for some sunshine!

      Delete
  13. Stay safe! My in-laws live in Michigan, I know the numbers there have been climbing exponentially. Hopefully you get your job back after this is all over, I know a few people who are in the same boat. Stinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank you! Nice to see you drop in. Numbers are crazy high now. I'm in the country which helps. Hope your family remains healthy!

      Delete
  14. People not staying home has been a big problem around here, which really sucks, because the local counties have been pretty lucky so far, but all of these selfish a**h*les seem to be determined to raise the numbers of infected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been amazed by the inconsiderates out there. I'm know two people who feel they will get sick eventually anyway so what's the big deal. Take care in TN!

      Delete
  15. Sorry to read you were laid off...hopefully when this goes away they're require you. I told my Target part time job to not schedule me unless they really need me. The official reason is I could need to work more at the main job if people start getting sick but really I dont need the extra chance of getting sick myself. Other than checking on my parents and in laws there's no reason to go to the stores right now. Stay safe and positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Target and all the BIG stores are not the safest places to be these days. My little country stores are fairly empty which makes shopping less fearful. You be safe too!

      Delete
  16. I'm going to go with Fuji's direction (see comment above) and keep the negativity away. Sending you some good energy, and I hope your employer asks you back in May, or perhaps another employer altogether will offer you something better.

    If you'd like some background noise while sorting those cards, check out the YouTube channel called Classic Baseball on the Radio. You can listen to old radio broadcasts from decades ago. Pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I may check out that channel, esp with no current MLB. I'm 99% certain my job is secure but appreciate the good vibes, Niner!

      Delete
  17. Hey, Julie... Sorry about the layoff (or furlough or however it's best to refer to it). Been there too many times myself. My last two weeks have been busy (which is why I'm behind on my blog reading), but I will do my best to send you some "help" this week.

    ReplyDelete