Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme That Card

In 1975, the Average White Band boarded the Soul Train to tell the world it was ok to ask for what you wanted.   These white boys were looking for a piece of cake.  For years, I wondered why sing about cake?  A couple of weeks ago, it dawned on me - cake was a metaphor.

We see many great pieces of cardboard around the blogs we'll never own. We sometimes comment that we need or want a card with no expectations of receiving the particular card shown in the post.  I did so recently, making an innocent comment regarding a specific card.

>>>> CHECK OUT THIS BLOG <<<<

Nine Pockets was showing off a second completed set of 84-84 Topps Hockey. This set is quite similar to 83 Topps Baseball.  I like the hockey design much more however. Team colors bordering the photos are wider, giving the card a brighter appearance. He had two sets to my zero!

D is for delightful...or possibly defense. 

ONE OF SIX SUTTERS

The six  brothers were Brent, Brian, Darryl, Duane, Rich and Ron, whose parents were fond of alliteration. All six played at one time for either the Blues or Blackhawks. Well of course they did! There is a seventh brother, Gary, obviously a misfit. His brothers say he was the most talented hockey player in the family. Not wanting to shame his six siblings, Gary chose to work the family farm.


Hooray Murray!

When I love catchers in gear, it's no surprise masked men on ice warm my heart just a little. This card is simply tremendous! An awesome old school mask hiding perfectly coiffed hair, this card was destined to be mine. January 5th, I commented on Niner's post: '...then there's the Bannerman which I do NOT have but will whine until I do.'  An envelope postmarked on the 8th arrived with three cards and a note: You want a Bannerman? You gots a Bannerman!  Who knew all I needed to do was ask?

Gregory, thank you!

If I could collect a second sport, it would be hockey.  Limited space and time make this unrealistic. I have found room however for a Blackhawks binder - and not just any binder!  It had to be perfect. Santa Claus still finds me every year no matter how undeserving I may be:




I'll soon be tucking these three cards into a nine-pocket page. Speaking of pockets - Pick Pockets was updated nearly two weeks ago. If you are a regular, you know the drill.

Now, about that cake... At times, I truly am that naive.



26 comments:

  1. 84-85 is perhaps my favorite hockey set ever. The Blackhawks binder is neat, at least it gives you space for a small hockey collection. And the 'cake' metaphor occurred to me not too long ago, when the Jonas Brothers sang about "Cake By The Ocean". I had no idea they were stealing the idea from Average White Band. Does that make the JoBros a below-average white band? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well below average! I thought the Jonas boys were a fairly religious in upbringing. Perhaps they thought they were singing about actual cake at the time? WHOA! I stopped to read the lyrics. Nevermind.

      Delete
  2. You really got my attention. You start with 1975, throw in a mystery (I’m also naive I still don’t know if I really get it), and some cheesy disco. This read was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like 'pie' would've made more sense but doesn't have the same sound. 'Cut the pie' 'gimme that pie'. Nah, It would never work.

      Delete
  3. #1 1980's hockey was insane, the talent spill over into the early 1990's created an incredible generation of hockey players.
    #2 Thank you for exposing me to "Cut the Cake". The comments on YouTube made my night.
    #3 I had no idea about the Nine Pockets blog. It is now on my list.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some great commentary there. The bassist of AW was all kinds of white funk! He could groove while plucking those strings! Nine Pockets posts every Sunday. Informative and fun reading!

      Delete
  4. I appreciate that you started this post off with cards of two guys who became Sharks in the 1990s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://youtu.be/tyrt3F1-9k8

    Obligatory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. excellent! of course, one video rolls into another! thanks for the exposure, JJ!

      Delete
  6. The band Cake now has an extra level of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check out a couple songs, incl 'I Will Survive'. There's a song that continues to live on!

      Delete
  7. Happy to have sent those three cards your way, Julie. That's quite a snazzy binder they'll be residing in.

    (Also, if you haven't watched the YouTube clip that JediJeff provided above, I highly recommend it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niner, I did check out the clip! Toying with hockey is dangerous for me! I could like it! Thanks again for the fun mail surprise!

      Delete
  8. The Bannerman mask was really well done and the photo on the card does a great job of giving the profile view.

    Santa found you the perfect binder too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bannerman was irresistible. I have my cards sorted and entered into TCDB. Time to start paging :)

      Delete
  9. Never heard that song before. But as soon as I listened to the lyrics... I knew exactly what they were singing about. Lol.

    P.S. That Wilson is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, this makes enjoy a piece of cake more difficult now. Perhaps I order it with no icing? What's the point?? I can't even look at a ding dong the same way now.

      Delete
  10. "You want a Bannerman? You gots a Bannerman!"... Greg is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of awesome around these parts, Mr. P Sleeves!! I sent a note to the Federal Reserve for bundles of 20s. I expect them to arrive within the next few days.

      Delete
  11. Great post. I am, or was, a Black Hawks fan in my early years. Best jersey in hockey. When they expanded to 12 teams I started to show more interest in baseball. As well as being better at playing baseball. Not so good at hockey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the jersey that pulled me in. I think it's the best too! I'm a good part Native American - Cherokee. My Sis has taken the time to register on the Indian rolls. I may one day but more so to be counted, not for benefits. BYW, I've never been on ice skates.

      Delete
  12. I never really thought too hard about "Cut The Cake", although I kinda got the gist... but it reminds me of my older brother's Frank Zappa albums. As I kid I though the lyrics were drug-addled gibberish, but when I got older I had an epiphany about many of the songs... they are REALLY REALLY DIRTY and I just didn't understand the slang and the similes.

    Oh, and I'm also impressed that AWB performed live on Soul Train instead of just miming to the record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Metaphors*, not really similes. Got too 25-cent-word-y for my own good, especially this early in the morning.

      Delete
  13. I love the design on these cards especially,and I have about 10 cards from this set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a pretty sweet set. I never cared for the baseball design, although it's grown on me a bit the past year or so.

      Delete