Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

FRENCH'S - Mustard to My Hot Dog

Here I am talking about hot dogs again. Surely it has nothing to do with the diet I began last month.  I don't recall when I last ate a tasty all-beefer on a bun. Summer time perhaps. The bright yellow mustard is fine enough but my preference leans toward spicy brown.

French conjures many images. Eiffel Tower. Notre-Dame. Napoleon. Bull Dogs. Brigette Bardot. Wait. What?

Oui, Oui, Brigette?

This past October, the other  French icon and hero Kevin Papoy, sent a mailer as a reminder he still thinks of me. Kevin has been blog-absent for sometime now, leading a busy life across the ocean.  With all he has going on, Kevin still felt sorry for these homeless cards. I'm a great foster parent.



Here's something new! My first 1986 True Value cards. Still sealed. With a 30 card checklist, the possibilities aren't endless but could include Nolan Ryan, Ripken and Sandberg. Each plays a large part in my collection. There are several HOFers in this set. I like the design well enough. They would look nice, side by side in a binder. This one will remain with my Whitakers. Now were I to rip it up, the contents would look something like this:

Yes, I do not own this photo. 

More oddities include these Fielders, both new to me. One from the Shanks Collection, the other Metz Baking. I wonder if they make hot dog buns?





How about these great additions to my build-a-bat collection? My best guess is that I'm still short 809,027 pieces - and one bat knob.


2001 FLEER SHOWCASE - STICK IT


2001 UD GAME-USED PP


Holy Hall of Fame, Batman! I have a real dilemma here! Both of these fine gentlemen are PCs. Perhaps it's better to add this to the catcher binder, after I take the wood chips off of course.  You can't imagine the splinters these things give me.


Here's a nice card to remind me Nick is no longer a Tiger or a Cub. It also serves as a reminder to scan cards in the future. There was a good  reason for taking pictures at the time.  Perhaps I was feeling a bit paresseuse. Look that up, if you're not too lazy.

Psst. Nick. NICHOLAS! Behind you...


How did I find myself thrown into 90's nostalgia? When I began collecting in 93, I was a full-bleed snob. White borders were banished from my collection.  How I miss the borders I never took time to appreciate.  There aren't many late 80s and early 90s bordered cards I feel a need to own. There are exceptions:1995 Topps Cyberstats. I have a crazy notion to pull this set together. All were added to my wantlist on TCDB.  Go there now and make my every wish come true. I find the foiled fronts appealing, with photos ripped from pages of history.  Dramatic?  Indeed.  It's the lack of sugar in my diet. 




[While composing this brilliant piece of literature, I found the font size fluctuating between eye-sore large and squinter's type. Blogger finds me intimidating.  I've increased the font size which appears normal in the preview. Please know if it's overly large, I am not yelling.]  I will however, yell THANK YOU to Kevin. 

France has given us many memorable gifts. Lady Liberty comes to mind immediately. But there was one other woman...
















37 comments:

  1. Oui Oui for sure. Got to love the oddballs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel safe in the company of oddballs. They're my kind. </8^p

      Delete
  2. Like...........

    https://youtu.be/rL8Dj5xOjm0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a new Pretenders song - new to me. Bardot! Nice to see you out in public,JJ!

      Delete
  3. I despised mustard for a long time, but for whatever reason I've warmed to it lately -- far cry from the days I used to get my burgers, hot dogs, etc. plain, nothing on them. Have no idea what set that Cecil Fielder "Home Run Derby" is from but I like it quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mustard too much, mainly on hot dogs. Fielder is from 1990 Shanks Collection. First time I've ever seen one of these.

      Delete
  4. The first thing this post made me think of is that "scandalous" late '60s song Serge Gainsbourg wrote for Bardot.

    Mustard rules!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mayo has it's place - but NOT on a hot dog! I took a listen to Serge. Couldn't find a good translation. Knowing it's scandalous was enough to peek my interest. lol.

      Delete
    2. Well, he basically says 'I come and I go / between your loins"

      Quel scandale !

      Our mustard is nothing like yours, btw, it's a whole other religion.

      Thanks for the kind words Julie, I just spent 15 great minutes catching up on 4 months of posting I had missed, and I absolutely love how your mind works and writes

      Delete
    3. Who is this mystery man writing under the name Papoy? This is a case for Inspector Clouseau! Thanks friend, for the kind words. I don't know that anyone has ever said this about my mind, working that is. Lol. So glad you dropped in!

      Delete
  5. My brother likes to eat mustard sandwiches. That is, a hot dog bun with mustard, but no hot dog. He will even buy buns but no dogs specifically to do this. I find it gross, as I am not a fan of mustard. The Crosley ad catches my eye. The Crosley company of course is well known as being the first to light a baseball stadium, but my interest is in the cars they produced from the 1930s through 50s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, that's different. I ate butter sandwiches as kid. My arteries began solidifying at a young age. I share your love of cars, 40s & 50s in particular.

      Delete
  6. Awesome post! As the Pretenders put it,

    "Oh it's good, good, good
    Like Brigitte Bardot"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BBC! I'll have to actually watch a Bardot film now. So many to choose from.

      Delete
  7. Mon dieu. Paresseuse? Contrary to its definition, you certainly upped your game with this post. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. je suis très flatté d'entendre ça! Merci!

      Delete
  8. When it comes to hotdogs, I'm more of a ketchup, onions, jalapenos, and relish kind of guy. But I do enjoy spicy mustard with my soft pretzels.

    By the way, do you really want random game-used bat cards? If so, I can help you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. none of these topping will ever find their way into my hot dog bun. I do enjoy jalepenos on a burger, and pizza. Thanks for the offer Fuji! I love to joke about my build-a-bat collection. I do wonder how many chips it would take to recreate a full-size bat. More fun than talking about my build-a-bears!

      Delete
  9. I'm with Fuji - ketchup, onions, and jalapenos are my preferred hot dog toppings! I've never seen those True Value cards before - very cool indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, i might put jalapenos on a hot dog. just never tried it. I love chili and cheese too, when they're options. I think I need to find a complete set of the TVs.

      Delete
  10. Good stuff. Chili cheese dogs are the ultimate way to eat hot dogs in my opinion. Otherwise, just ketchup for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gavin! I like 'em messy too. No ketchup though, ever.

      Delete
  11. I love those True Value oddballs! The bat relics look great too. In my opinion bat relics > jersey relics.

    Nice stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I never gave much thought to one over the other. I think it depends on the chip quality [thin? color?] vs plain gray or white swatch. Is it me, or do we see fewer bat pieces these days in comparison to jersey relics? I enjoy some of the old stadium seat relics with paint.

      Delete
    2. Seat relics would be fun. Ticket relics too. Although I am not sure if they actually print tickets anymore...

      Delete
    3. Never thought I'd see the day tickets were app only. It creates a problem for our older population but perhaps frees up seating for others. I should be nice. One day not so far into the future, I'll be one of those elders.

      Delete
  12. Damn, beaten twice by my intended Pretenders reference. "Message Of Love" is one of my favorites by Chrissie and the boys.

    I pulled one of those "Shanks Collections" cards out of a repack years ago... The only thing I could figure out about it was that it was an unlicensed "Broder".

    Spicy brown over yellow every day of the week, but relish is my go-to hot dog condiment.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shlabby, I live in a dark hole. A song I find relatively obscure is someone what well-known!! Shanks are well-done unlicensed gems. Broder = great dog name. My tastes are probably too simple. Pickles in any form, don't belong on my hot dog.

      Delete
  13. I think I will have a couple of hot dogs for lunch. Mustard and relish added. Nothing else. Great post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are hot dogs for breakfast ok? This thread has my tummy growling!!!

      Delete
  14. Of all the products they could have gone with, True Value chose a food waste disposer unit for the back of that baseball card package? Seems odd. But then again, disposers did seem to be a popular item for the kitchen in the 1980s, so maybe it makes sense.

    (As for hot dog condiments, I'm also from the no-ketchup school. Either spicy brown or yellow mustard is okay by me. But spicy brown is choice #1.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay for another spicy brown!! These cards were printed with at least two different ads. It does make me wonder how many there were. Perhaps one was a bbq grill?

      Delete
    2. If I find one featuring a BBQ grill -- complete with hot dogs cooking on top -- I know who to send it to.

      Delete
  15. Have you ever put mustard on a fried chicken sandwich with cheese...oh yeah, it hits the spot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't say that I have. Original Chick-fil-a is my fave chick sandwich. After removing the pickles, I add mayo and enjoy. Never thought to try it with mustard. I'll have to give that a taste!

      Delete
  16. I'm sorry, what was this post about? I couldn't understand any of the words after Brigette Bardot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bardot steals my thunder. Have a few of her films in your collection by chance?

      Delete