Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Death of an Ichiro Card and To 2019

Born 2018.  Deceased 2019. Approximate time of  death unknown.  Cause of death: feline mastication.

This incident is greatly indicative of the past six months. I mean well enough but circumstances don't always align themselves to my intentions. This card for instance:

Tis a blurry snippet from a past post

I showed this off back in April
, a couple months before I slipped into early hibernation. It was beautiful then. Jon Pennysleeves claimed it. I put it aside with a few others for him. There it sat, sitting safely, so I thought. {what????}

By the end of May, I'd wandered from the blogs. Months passed. What began as a short summer hiatus turned into several challenging months battling a funk I've never known. I refuse to enter 2020 feeling disconnected and vulnerable to life.

Which brings us to today, wrapping up 2019. Making out the envelope for Jon, filling it with cards - why, sending trades and surprises to other collectors is always a pleasant experience.  ALWAYS!!!!!

Momma's darling Angel.
Jingles saw it differently. Her reading levels are below average for a feline. She did not see the sticky note on the small stack of cards was clearly marked 'Jon'.  Thinking the  J  certainly denoted 'Jingles', she took a neat little nibble.





FIRE!!!!!

This once shiny, vibrantly colored card is still that but now forever marred with cute little kitty teeth prints. I love cats! My apologies to you, Jon.  I rarely have anything cool to send your way. My procrastination came back to bite me. The envelope though, is safe from my precious furry kitty baby, and will be in the mail this week.

I plan to be back but perhaps will blog a little differently. Life is not all cards and collections. Maybe sharing those imperfect moments will help me through the foggy days when life isn't so organized.

I wish a peaceful, kind New Year to each of you. We all need tenderness in our lives.

HAPPY NEW DECADE!!!


25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello! Still need those two black foils I set aside months ago?

      Delete
  2. Is Jingles an Ichiro fan? Maybe she decided to make it her card. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she enjoys working on the collection with me. Seems to like sorting the most. Anytime I have stacks going, she finds herself right in the midst of them!

      Delete
  3. Our one cat likes to chew on plastic bags, especially when she's hungry. I wonder if Ichiro tastes like a plastic bag? Num num num.

    Happy New Year to you as well, and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shlabby! I've missed this little corner of the net! My sister's cat suffered with pica too. She was a swallower. Was...

      Delete
  4. The imperfect moment is a perfect way to start the new year. Cats and cards. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this sentiment. Living in the moment is something I need to get back to doing.

      Delete
  5. The World is not perfect. Why should cards be perfect. This card now has a story to tell. If anyone is listening.

    Happy New Year to you and I am VERY glad to see a new blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To you as well, Fred! I'm elated to make an appearance. Oh great...here comes the cat!!!!!!!!!! Seriously!

      Delete
  6. Your cat is adorable!!!!!
    This year was bad mentally here as well.. I hope this year is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Mike, I hope this year brings you peace! Kitty keeps it up, she will be for sale. ;)

      Delete
  7. Our blogosphere's first Cat Abused Card? You're making history Julie! Actually Jingles is. Glad to see you're back at the keyboard. Sorry to hear that you were in a funk. 2019 was a rough year for a few of us. Anyways... here's to a much brighter 2020. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuj, I know this year was hard on you. Wishes for a happy and healthy year to you too! Thanks for the encouragement! Probably not the first card to meet a feline fate but her little ego will be stroked to think so.

      Delete
  8. Happy new year - here's to a much better 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Bo! Thank you for hanging in there with me! Cards are on the way!

      Delete
  9. See, I told you that people would be supportive! Blog folks never disappoint when it comes to that sort of thing :)

    I'm looking forward to the new different type of blogging, and tell Jingles that all is forgiven, there's no way that I could ever be upset with such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks P-Sleeves! I appreciate the "ear". We'll see what happens on this blog. Jingles picked the shiniest card to file her fangs upon but likely knew it would give her 15 minutes of fame.

      Delete
    2. It's the Jingles "autographed" 1/1 version of the card!

      Delete
    3. and I gave it away?? Argh!!! Perhaps the kind recipient will make a fortune from it on ebay.

      Delete
  10. I swear I was just thinking the other day: "I miss Julie's blog. I hope she starts posting again soon." So glad to see my wish was granted!

    My mom and I have seven(!) cats in the house. Most of 'em stay away from my cards -- though one of them did knock a cup of coffee onto a stack of cards I had on the coffee table earlier this year. Not pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could have that many in the house. Strays are well accommodated around here though. So, new scented cards for the hobby? Not sure why we don't have those yet. Coffee, stale beer, popcorn, dirt, chew... To scratch or not to scratch the scented part? May hurt the value.

      Delete
    2. BTW, thank you Nick. I appreciate the wish!! :)

      Delete
  11. And just like that, the folks at Allen & Ginter have a new idea for a subset. (Unless they've already put out a "Cards Chewed by Cats" set.)

    Good to see you back here, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niner! Thank you! Missed those Dating Game posts. Hopefully there are a few to catch-up with.

      Delete