Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The Quinn Essential Collection

I get a surprise package a couple times yearly from the mysterious Mr. Quinn, non-blogger, non-tweeter. It's harder for me to reciprocate as he collects players I don't find as easily or often: Alex Gordon, Mark Ellis, Hideki Matsui, Zito, Cespedes and good old deceased Billy Martin.  My return packages are always half the size. Folks should be trading with him! He is unbelievably generous. I just can't tell you how to reach him.

Here's a SMALL sampling of cards from the past year.  Jackie Robinsons are always included, even subtly with other players in 42 jerseys.


Tiger cubs sprinkled throughout. In this case a nice blue graph on 2017 Contenders. Not to imply the Tigers are contenders...



The quiet man knows my fondness for the Blackhawks - their jersey in particular. The OPC design featuring Kero is awesomely retro!! Cards like this make me want to add another sport to my inventory.  If you must send these, how can I refuse? Your feelings are important!



Tek-nicolor and gold abound:



Always the shiny stuff:




Always something a bit older than me. [Don't argue. The 1973 date on this card is a misprint.]



These arrived not long ago...cell photos here so quality isn't as nice but oh, the variety is! Shine on, shine on...




Vintage in delightful condition. Please pardon the glare on Eddie's forehead. He forgot his hat.




Hints of Jackie with this good-looking manu-relic.



What's this glorious beast from the Topps Vault? Anyone? I know it's a legit blank back from Topps but I found no place to research the serial number from the card back.



All of this is cardboard at its best, loved and appreciated. Choosing favorites among these children is no simple task but as any good parent must do, the decision was made. POSTERS FROM 1998 SPORTS ILLUSTRATED! Now I know what you're thinking.  These are older than me too. Shucks guys, you are sooo kind.  The only thing I have in common with these are the deep creases right across the middle - of my forehead.




This magical shot of Piazza should've been on cardboard. 



I don't know when I'll hear from Q again. If he happens to read this post then THANK YOU!  Once again, you've added some essentials to my PCs.  I'll never be able to trade with you at this level but will continue to boast of you here!

14 comments:

  1. Looks like that Topps Vault card is a Phil Russell from 1978.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Doug! Thank you! The original design is quite desirable. I sense an arduous struggle ahead as I discover more vintage hockey cards.

      Delete
  2. You have a fairy Cardboard Father. Nice cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why thank you, Steiny. we should all have one! or two. three...

      Delete
  3. Really great variety, and agreed, that Piazza photo would be excellent on a Stadium Club card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sports Illustrated - where is Fleer when you need them? Great sets in their day!

      Delete
  4. I still can't decide whether or not I like those High Tek cards. I do know, however, that I absolutely LOVE that TCMA oddball if for no other reason that it's a rare sighting of Hank Greenberg as a Pirate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great old TCMA! High Tek as a purchase - no thanks. In a trade package - bring it on!

      Delete
  5. That Topps Vault is also a negative of the yellow color separation. Part of me wonders if it's actually a piece of film with cardboard behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate and respect your knowledge. I know nothing of these things but enjoy see your conversations on Twitter! It's sealed up but perhaps I can free it up this weekend for closer examination.

      Delete
  6. I can't stand Jeremy Roenick (after he talked smack about Patrick Marleau)... but damn... that's a sweet OPC rookie card. Great variety in this package.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait - what? that's JR's rc? I like the design well enough too! Exc photo selection!

      Delete
  7. Hopefully Quinn will see this public appreciation of all the great cards (and posters) he sent your way. Now that I know you have an affinity for Blackhawks cards I'll have to include a couple in the next PWE I send you..which should be soon, especially if I plan to pick your pockets ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love their Native American jerseys - and also find it difficult to turn down any team's goalies. Oh - and do pick away! So glad you are reading between the lines!

      Delete