Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Cold Pizza

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone.  2018 is already judging me, wagging its crooked little finger  to remind me there are a lot of trades left from this summer to share.  Guess what 2018?  It's not even December.

This summer certainly brought a lot of new trade packages to my lil neck of the woods.  Who could expect any breakdown to be a good and happy thing?   If it's a Baseball Card Breakdown, it's bound to have a happy ending.   Gavin sent a such large stash of cards it made choosing which to share a difficult process. 

The first scan is all Gavin!  He creates some of the best well-loved cards you'll find out there.  Here are two famous big bats in original shiny and aged vintage versions.  I have a few of Gavin's cards now and really should keep them together.  Currently they live among the PCs. 


Lots of Kaline which makes this gal happy!  Again, not all are shown because Gavin's generosity makes scanning a cumbersome activity.


A couple of beauties:  2002 Archives Reserves is a set worth building - fan favorites, HOFers -  all refractors.   2015 Cooperstown Collection ETCHED #d/25!  GAVIN! Thank you!  Hard to believe Panini hasn't done another Cooperstown series.  These are the players I am drawn to and most willing to purchase.  When I buy a HOF/Fan Favorite set, I know what I'm getting.   No Henry Owens to be found in Cooperstown.


There was a nice stack of Piazzas too.  2005 UD Fabrics and 1998 Ultra.  I don't have many Piazza Marlins since Mike spent only eight days in their uniform.  Perhaps another reason his Marlins' cards are difficult to find...THE HOARDER.  For only $75,000 I could own cards which include thirteen 1/1s!  Gotta wonder what he'd take for best offer.  At least shipping is free!







The gem of the entire trade package though was nothing shiny and contained no relic.  Just a simple card from the pizza place I loved most as a child - Shakey's.   I turned this card over, saw the logo and practically leaped from my chair.  I could smell the pizza, hear the player piano while sitting at a long table with barrels for chairs.  The first pizza I can ever recall eating and loved til it closed. Shakey's went out of business while I was in high school.


Food issues are some of my favorites but this pizza card shot to the top of the  fave foodie chart! I've wanted any Shakey's cards for a long while but never found them in my price range and  never thought I'd find one in a trade package!!

CHECK OUT THOSE BEER PRICES!

1975 Shakey's Pizza
This card is so mint it could be a reprint.  If it were a reprint, I wouldn't care.  Ty Cobb is the number one player in my PC collections.  If I could collect only one HOFer, it would be Tyrus.  Long live the deadball era!!  Shouted perhaps a bit too late.  

Only a Cobb beer card could make this Shakey's Pizza Cobb any better and only Gavin could create such a beauty.

HINT HINT
Gavin, thank you!  It took so long to share, the pizza's now cold!  I assure you it's just as good as it was back in '75!

I offer a belated 'Blessed Thanksgiving' to all my blog and tweety buds!  Your presence makes this hobby all the more enjoyable.   If I weren't such a turkey, I would've offered thanks  a few days ago! Thanksgiving comes but once a year but gratitude is a daily practice!

16 comments:

  1. Must be something about being a '70s kid and Shakey's, I too was fascinated with the place, even though I never got to go in one. It sat next to the Dairy Queen and we'd park outside the DQ and I stare longingly out the back window at Shakey's.

    Can't say I'm too impressed with their cards though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pretty basic design but memories make the card!

      Delete
  2. Shakey's? Yeah, I can think of one I saw in the Chicago area many a moon ago. I don't think it lasted very long, for obvious reasons.

    And just for you, Jules:

    https://youtu.be/bNnjUqpHspw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks JJ! the original to-go-box! Who'd ever think to put pizza in a box to take home, or eat in the car? I've never done either.

      Delete
  3. That Cobb is AWESOME. Now I can add Shakey's to the long list of companies/brands I never knew issued baseball cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, Shakeys were all over Southern California, best place to go after the HS football game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are still a couple out West. Though I'd love to eat there again, the pizza is probably not as good as the memories of it.

      Delete
  5. Belated Happy Turkey Day too you as well...LOVE the Cobb cards...and that JAX Braves Aaron...I need one of those...I lived on JAX a long time and stood at 2nd Base in the old ballpark where Aaron and the JAX Braves played in the 1950s.

    Great job Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you John! You have a great memory there! The great and old parks are mostly gone.

      Delete
  6. I remember my old Shakey's pizza, loved it as a kid and was bummed when it closed-and I was way young. So I have been on a hunt for one. Alas, my wife is from north San Diego County and Oceanside has one. We visited with my nieces and nephews-pizza wasn't the greatest but they had a great time-this was 6-7 years ago I think it is still there

    ReplyDelete
  7. For years and years, the only knowledge I had about Shakey's was a throwaway line on a Steve Martin album: "When you're with me it's like being at Shakey's Pizza all the time". It was years and years before I understood that joke.

    ReplyDelete