Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2020

Prize Winning Envelopes!

I love sending PWEs to my blog pals as my PP page will confirm.  It's equally fine to be on the receiving end of these little paper wonders, packed with precious cardboard cargo!

Elliptical Man has been finding his way around the blogs; armed with witty commentary. On TCDB, he is Uncorrected Error. He's dropped a couple of PWEs in the mail featuring floating bats and dugout shots.



Have to say I like the Vlad. I had this card but gave it away not long ago. This copy stays with my collection. It may be one of my least favorite designs but the photo is a keeper. Bats seemingly have a life of their own - Raul taking one to the side of the head!  Wonder how he's holding up in the pen?


Another welcome ACB reader is Giant's fan, Fred Pike. He sends an envelope every couple of weeks, it seems. I have the Conlon B&W set but needed these Cobbs for the PC. Like a good dentist,  Fred's been filling the cavities in my collection. I have a few specific  Fleer stickers on my wantlists, Decade Greats too.




Diamond Jesters blogger Matt, sent these needed Altuves. Jester Jose won't be as much fun to watch this year. Baseball in general - for me - hasn't been fun. I'm of the opinion a 60 game season is a joke.  It's the grind of the full season I find exciting; overcoming injuries, bad pitching, poor management and still making a run for the pennant. If we do have a 'world series' in 2020, I hope a team like the Marlins pulls off the win. Even a Tiger World Series title would not be great cause for celebration. Although it would likely be the only WS they'd win in my lifetime!




Padrographs' Rod sent 71s from my wantlist and a nifty decal featuring his logo. Cleans 71s are tough. These are nice copies, upgrades for the Tiger pc.  I appreciate Rod reaching out for our first trade! He picked my pockets awhile back.




There's one from the bloody blogspot, Card Hemorrhage. Jay reached out for a first trade, blind but fun! New Heritage and old Archives, and an excellent Ripken from a set I'd never heard of. Cal is from 1992 American Sports #/1600. The blue foil borders look nice in hand.





Nick sent a couple of envelopes. One featured some freebie Astros in their domed glory. He also sent a Fydrich I didn't own, Hostess and vintage. The 73 is a beauty. I want this set. I want a lot of things but take time to appreciate what I have. The second pwe landed in my mailbox July 5th, making it an official mail-in ballot! Dimebox voting!






There are more pwes but only so much space within one post to share. I'll save these for another round. I share these PWEs not only to thank the gentlemen senders but to remind YOU - all PWEs and mailers could net you a mail-in vote in the Cracked Bat Ballot Box contest. Every one received in my mailbox containing an eligible trade between July 5th and Election Day counts as an additional vote.


Easy to see how a pwe can become a Prize Winning Envelope! Every time I go for the mail, gotta hold myself down! Queue Katrina.

Our second round of balloting wrapped up on Wednesday morning. I apologize for taking so long to post the results. Oh the busy-ness of life, keeping me from the fun of hobby-life! Another round of voting surprises!  Participation was down this time. Perhaps due to the balloting found within the post and not announced in the title. [Readers should be rewarded with a voting opportunity.]  Last time we had 34 votes. Only 23 peeps took time to choose between 80 cards in 1988 Score Young Superstars 1 & 2 with 12 votes, and 3 years of Topps Mini Leaders at 11 votes.  I thought the minis would take it!  Once again we had one vote for each from our foreign operators.  Your glossy winners will be added to the Ballot Box!



The next round will be up shortly, a battle between 2020 football sets. We should have something new in the Ballot Box. Remember, even if you don't care for the candidates, your vote matters. The more often you vote, the more times your name will be added to the Great Randomizer in November!

I wrapped another round of Pickpockets this week too. Not sure where all my pickers went this time but cards will be in the mail soon. I'm waiting for another order of stamps whose delivery has been delayed yet again. The next PP edition will be for trade pals only. Lots of shine to be found so watch for those to appear the weekend of Aug 22. 

Summer is fading which always makes me a little sad. I love fall and have learned to tolerate winter but these warm days make me feel so much younger.  I've spent more time outside which has pulled me away from the blogs. You can't be rid of me so easily. No long absence in the foreseeable future planned but for now, the sunshine beckons...



27 comments:

  1. Love that song. I remember well watching that goofy video on MTV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have ever only seen this video twice before adding it to the post. Definitely upbeat!

      Delete
  2. 2020 Football sets? I don't think I could tell a 2020 set from a 2010 set. LOL I'll be there to vote though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they will make good trade fodder, if nothing else. All future cards will be baseball.

      Delete
  3. The 1971 & 1972 Freehan cards are SWEET!
    (Biased post!)

    I tried to do the Pick Pockets but couldn't get it to work...I'm sure it's user error.

    I'll keep trying...and voting...Go Tigers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too kind with your compliments.

    I like Horton's fu manchu, Greenberg fielding grounders in the sky, and the Chaney action shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what? Ive got to vote by mail... darn it... i seriously wanted to stand in a long line for a few hours so i could get my i voted sticker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I can provide a sticker -if that's what it takes. I also pick where it sticks... 8^D

      Delete
  6. Although there's little overlap wit my own team & player collections, there's something I just love about Mother's Cookies sets... Maybe because they're completely exotic for us East Coast people.

    I had a crush on Katrina at the time that song was popular. That first album made a great EP (4 songs I love and the rest was filler) and the second album was all filler. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "wit my collections"? I think my New York accent is showing. :-D :-D :-D

      Delete
    2. I guess old Katrina was a cutie in her day. If she still is, then I don't like her anymore. I thought 'wit' was intentional. It made me chuckle.

      Delete
  7. That song took me back to middle school and put a smile on my face. Lots of cool goodies in this post. Love the Fleer logo sticker, Mother's Cookies Astros, and the Triple Threads Fidrych.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad Mother's Cookies weren't available to me in OK and the Dallas TX area. What a great excuse to eat cookies!

      Delete
    2. The cookies were good. The cards in the bags were better. But the Mother's Cookies SGA cards were the best.

      Delete
  8. I need your address emailed or DM on twitter to me so I can send in mail in vote! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SCC - I'm at a slight disadvantage. I know you're on Twitter but can't find you nor can I find your email address. I tried the link on your page but it defaults to Outlook which I don't use at home. Please email me: acrackedbat at gmail dot com. Thanks for registering to vote!

      Delete
    2. Just seeing your reply. I will get on this

      Delete
  9. Whoa, modern football sets up next? I'm going to have to do some research if I want to make an informed decision. I know nothing about modern football cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. These are good trade fodder, and also intended for some of our voters who like football too.Trying to appe al to all my constituents!

      Delete
  10. I'm gonna have to flip a coin if the next choice is between football sets. I know nothing about football cards.

    Glad you enjoyed the PWE! I'm so thrilled to find a good home for those Mother's Cookies Astros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't force them on you should you win. ;) What amazing and fun cards they are too! I LOVE them!

      Delete
  11. Bernie Williams and Raul Mondesi must be using super glue to get the bats to stick to them like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love cards like these! Welcome to the blog! I'll check out your old sox!

      Delete
  12. That Jimmie Price card with the Yankee Stadium facade is fantastic. I love how both Willie Hortons are looking up at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such a great eye for detail. It appears Willie does too!

      Delete