Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

In the Good Old Summertime: OKC 89ERS

Thanks to those of you who took time to read and comment on my last post regarding the Oklahoma City Thunder and the bombing in April 1995.  This post will be featured on the right side of the blog for the remainder of the year as a tribute to survivors and the 168 lost.

I received a thoughtful email from a friend who preferred comment privately. He mentioned for him, it would be hard for me to top that post. With that said, I'm retiring the blog. Why try?  It's been a good run.  I wrote from my heart regarding a personal experience which was a little different for me.  Normally I just make up stuff, throw in a lot of sarcasm and add images stolen from the internet.

Sometimes I am a little homesick for Oklahoma. It's sad to think there are so many things I didn't find time for while I was there.  Like attend multitudinous ball games. Years of opportunity slipped by because I was oblivious to baseball. 

I would have spent more time at All Sports Stadium which was home to the 89ers. Built in 1961, it was host to the team until 1997 when the 89ers moved into the new Bricktown Ballpark and became the Oklahoma Redhawks - who are now the OKC Dodgers.  I went to a few games in the late 80s but hadn't fallen in love with baseball. That didn't happen until 1993. I blame parenting.


A B C D E...G F?

Located on the State Fairgrounds, All Sports seated about 15,000 fans. It was also a fun concert venue.  I attended more concerts than games {she said shamefully.} A few I recall: The Beach Boys, Monkees, Herman's Hermits, Lilith Fair, Grass Roots, Gary Puckett, and - The Oak Ridge Boys, unintentionally. On this occasion, I'd actually gone to the game when a country music festival broke out. ...  Giddy up, oom, papa oom, papa mow mow.  Yessiree. These here 'Elvira' lyrics took them Boys all the way to number one in 1981.  There I was, already missing the 70s.

Where did this picture come from and who put it here!

Over the years, our 89ers showcased some major league talent and a few future HOF members. One of my main PC guys, Ryne Sandberg spent some time in OKC when the 89ers were part of the Phillies organization.  Sadly, I never saw him play. I lived right there in town and never gave thought to a baseball game. Such an idiot. Me - not Ryno.

STOLEN IMAGE

In 1989, Fergie Jenkins was pitching coach. Uhm, yeah. I missed him too. I did however, meet Fergie a few years ago in an OKC card shop. Friendly and tall, very tall. With large hands.

CALL THE COPS


REPEAT OFFENDER

Abner 89er.  How dumb. He probably had a nosy wife named Agnes. Abner is a great-looking mascot! His face is quite 1889 but those arms are too small and and lacking the follicles necessary to compliment his 'stache.  I wish this shot was in color.


NO LONG LINES!

Goose Gossage is another HOFer who passed briefly through the rusty gates of All Sports Stadium for two games in 1991.  There were no images of him in 89er gear. He was with the Rangers at the time and would only play three more years.


1972 Puerto Rican League sticker

Many summers have passed since I enjoyed a game in this eyesore stadium. It's gone now, demolished in 2005 for additional parking at the fairgrounds. I don't have too much in the way of memorabilia other than an old foam seat cushion, packed away in the shed, likely cracked and dry-rotted by now. I have a few minor league cards like these from Joe Shlabotnik:


1990 TCMA 

I'm still looking for cards 1989 or older, especially those featuring any advertising on the outfield walls, or the humble downtown skyline past the far right field wall.  Check out the hot dog on the right:

STUPID FUZZY PHOTO

If you find yourself sorting through old minor league cards, put those 89ers aside for me, would you? I'm always chasing my younger days. I guess that's part of being a collector. Mostly, I live in the now. If vacations to the 70s were available though, I'd buy a timeshare.



26 comments:

  1. "With that said, I'm retiring the blog."

    Ummmmmm WHAT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say anything to get your attention. It worked!

      Delete
    2. Ohhhhh.....you just wait for whenever I finally send this stack of cards your way.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. just getting the April Fool's joke out of the way. I'm busy on the first.

      Delete
  3. Didn't know a whole lot about the '89ers before this post other than the fact that they produced one of my favorite mascot cards ever made.

    https://img.comc.com/i/Baseball/1989/ProCards-Minor-League---Base/1507/Abner-89er.jpg?id=149edbdb-31ec-48c4-b673-ce563051bcb5&size=zoom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, don't send me into this wormhole. What a great card! Want vs. need syndrome: I want this card vs I need to eat. I need this card so I'll skip a meal. As long as my cats still have food, I'm ok. Right?

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I didn't like the line about retiring the blog either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many play that little joke on 4/1. Why wait?

      Delete
  5. I didn't go to a single minor league game last year. It was a sad year.

    Good gracious Gossage looks like a muppet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. N.O., you had a rough year overall. My heart still goes out to you. Now getcherself to some baseball in 2020. Goose looks exactly like a muppet. I kept looking at his card but could not put my finger on it.

      Delete
    2. "Goose Gossage" even sounds like a muppet name, doesn't it?

      Glad you're not actually retiring the blog. You had me going until I started reading the comments!

      Delete
  6. Yay Chrome! Thank for dropping in for hello!!! Twitter was/is fun but the blog is my home. Too many distractions and blatant meanness in the Twitter World. In other words, too much like the real world. My blog bubble is safe place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agnes 89er wouldn't be so nosy if it weren't for that weird family in the ballpark next door!

    Honest truth: I started reading this post and thought "I know I've got some 89ers cards, when I find them I should send them to Jul-- oh, guess I already did that".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you gave me a good chuckle there! thanks again for those cards!!

      Delete
  8. I had this problem too until I set up a blogger account. Safari would never let me comment if I was using my wordpress ID.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the "stadium in background" project. I've been doing the same thing but with Candlestick. For the same reasons too. As much as the game is about the players, baseball's about the sense of place as well and seeing all those stadium shots of the field/stands I grew up in brings me back so much more than any one player card does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't begin collecting til 93 so my baseball memories are more closely tied to this old park and good old summer days in Oklahoma.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear you're only joking about retiring. It's been a rough week or so... this wouldn't have helped. And oh man... that's an interesting look for Goose. He looks like something out of a Frankenstein movie or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm like the bad penny that keeps turning up. Hmm, maybe that's more like a boomerang. the kind that come around to bust windows and set off car alarms.

      Delete
  11. You fooled me too! "If vacations to the 70s were available though, I'd buy a timeshare." Yes! me too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Add me to the list of reader glad to hear you're not retiring the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, shucks. thank you. I'd miss you guys too much!

      Delete
  13. You really had me going. ** Exhaling now **.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. save that breath for the baseball season! you'll be 'holding' it often! :)

      Delete