Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Walkin' and Waitin'...

I love trading and sharing cards all around.  When shipping 20 or so mailers in December, I wasn't expecting to receive nearly as many in return - within the same month!

 I do my best every day, to live life in the moment.  It's something I've preached for years.  We truly only have right now - this breath, this heartbeat - for living. Work is a given, so there's 45-50 hours gone plus the two to three hours I spend commuting everyday. I could read, blog, enjoy music or cards, eat, sleep, exercise, visit friends etc.   Time only spreads itself around so far and then it's bedtime.  If I could keep my eyes open longer, I'd be writing more often. So given this, I am behind on blogging/sharing the great trades that came my way over the holidays. 
 
P-town Tom, always waiting -  and thanks for that!  Here are some of the great and colorful beauties he sent my way at the end of December:

 
Tom wrote a nice note on the back of this calendar intro.  This is more of a note to myself - GET THIS CALENDAR NEXT YEAR!
 
From Diamond Kings, one of the best unlicensed products of 2015.
 

Minis from 87 and 88, next to a 2011 Mud Hen!

Colorful and odd


2015 A&G featuring one of my least favorite pics of Miggy.  Nice looking design overall.

Topps 2000 - already 15 years old.  A bit freaky.


Tom is always great to share his extra Sandbergs.  Along with Mark Grace, Sandberg is a favorite Cubbie.  I have PCs of both boys.

1979 Topps.  Fly Bird, fly.  A career ended too soon.  He passed much too early as well.  What a wonderful card!  Tom, thanks for these.  Packages from Peoria are always packed with surprises!

That said - written? -  a package from Matt, BWTP  contains nothing less than a surprise or two or six:
  2006 Turkey Red pinstripe; 2003 Finest Refractor Oswalt
 
2008 shiny Spectrum /75;  2011 A&G mini pinstripe
 
2015 Museum big fat card /99 sweet!
 
All great additions to my growing Astros collection but wait for it...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
BAM!
 

Sticker, schmicker.  who cares?  It's ALTUVE!  2014 Prizm, all mine! 
 
 Surprise?!?!  Matt, wow!  You knocked me over with this one. 
 
I am so fortunate to trade with the best guys around the blogs.  I have so much more cardboard to share.  Thanks for being a patient bunch too!
 

18 comments:

  1. Great stuff! That Altuve is ink-redible! I crack myself up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about crack. wait. that doesn't sound right, in more ways than one.

      Delete
  2. Only twelve minutes to work, but it can extend if I hit one of the four stop lights. I feel for you and that commute. I hope you have some good podcasts to listen to!

    I didn't know that Grace is another guy you collect. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark and I share an exact birthdate. ;) He was a smooth gloveman. Loved watching him. I really need to look into more podcasts. Been listening to a lot of personal growth cds.

      Delete
  3. Two nice batches of cards... Love the oddballs!

    I had the BBHOF calendar in 2013 (has it been that long?) and really enjoyed it. I even wrote a review of it:
    https://shlabotnikreport.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/review-2013-baseball-hall-of-fame-desk-calendar/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! thanks for dropping by! The Krusty SOA was all I needed to convince me!

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your commute. I have several friends that live in the DC area that have brutal commutes each day. Hope you invest in some good audio books or listen to some cool podcasts.

    I actually pulled that Altuve myself. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! Altuve is just fun to watch! I want to put him in my pocket and call him my own. The commute is tolerable right now, mainly because there has been little to no snow and ice! If it should get bad, I have the option to work from home.

      Delete
  5. Guess what? You've got another envelope on its way.

    I feel your pain on that commute. My commute right now is about 1 hour total (maybe a little more) each day -- 20 minutes in the morning and 40 minutes in the evening. Before my wife and I moved in 2012, my commute was something closer to two hours each day -- about 40 minutes in the morning and an hour to 1:20 in the evening.

    Podcasts were (and are still) my friend. There are a bunch of great history lectures available through the iTunes University section, in case that floats your boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History does float my boat. :) I will check that out! Mornings usually take longer, no less than 75 minutes. Heading home - an hour. I knew it would be a challenge but have no regrets. I traded my jet-setting Dallas lifestyle for a dirt road and 6 acres of heaven!

      Delete
    2. BTW, thanks in advance. :) You are too awesome!

      Delete
  6. Whoa, nice Astros pickups! I'm definitely jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bru, I would be more than willing to share my doubles with you. :) I know no other Astro-lovin card collectors out there. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. The Bird. Who could ever say what his career might have looked like. A shame. A good guy til the day he died.

      Delete
  8. a long commute is a small price to pay overall, for living in a sweet, small town in the beautiful country! 30 miles but no direct route to work. In Dallas, I had a direct 8 mile commute which could easily take 30-45 mins. thanks for your encouragement! I do want to write more often and feel there is much to share!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've noticed that you've started collecting The Astros. I exclusive collect Astros cards and have quite a few duplicates. If you'd be interested in working out a trade I can get you a list and we can discuss the details. My email is trevorejordan at gmail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reading and commenting Trevor. Astros and Tigers are my fave teams. My love for Tequila Sunrise and Astro-turf is nostalgia for me but some of my fave players have been and are Astros. I'll email you. :)

      Delete