Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Trading Places

I'm counting down the days.  Trading good Tex-Mex for Buddy's Pizza;  100+ degree days in July for a rare 90 degree day during summer; tornados for snow and the Texas Rangers for my Detroit Tigers -  I'm moving.  My Texas sunsets are numbered.  I've grown tired of the concrete and traffic, and have reached that time in life when a reassessment is necessary.  Over the last few years I've spent a good bit of vacation time in North Carolina and Michigan, knowing one would someday become home.  It's time to be closer to family, and settle in for the second half of a wonderful life.
 
The nice cards I received from Gavin during one of his Baseball Card Breakdowns  coincided with my thoughts of an early retirement - before turning gray-headed!
 
                                        2004 Topps Retired Signature
                                                                                  2001 Fleer Greats of the Game
 
 
These are attractive cards printed on shiny, heavy cardboard. The theme for 2001 Topps Archives was based on reprints of  many rookie cards  and last card appearances.  Topps went back to 1952 and stretched it out to the year 2000 for a 450 card set.  If I'd purchased these cards upon their initial release only to find reprints from the previous year...well it's just like Topps.  No surprise would be a surprise. 
 

My move isn't quite an early out.  I'm fortunate to work for an accounting firm with offices in nearly every state.  My employer is working on a transfer at this time.  I'll take a short leave of absence beginning May 15th to start the move process and settle into my new home. When I return to work during the first week of July, I'll be the rookie in a new office.


My singular complaint with this Archives edition is the tiny print on the reverse side.  Assembling this set could not have been an easy feat! The actual card number is in miniscule print on the copyright line. At my age, a larger font would've been appreciated.
 

Gavin included two cool cards from 1991 Orioles Crown, a 501 card series offered by Crown Gasoline and Coca Cola.  Smaller cards at 2 1/2 by 3 1/8 inches:


 
The dreaded part of any move is packing. Most all my cards have already made the move ahead of me.  I kept only the accumulation of cards set aside for my regular trade friends - once moved and unpacked, I hope to make new trade buddies too.  Of course I continue to shop, which only adds to the burden. Such a terrible burden...  

I came home from work recently to find a somewhat large box waiting for me.  Something else to move.  The return address revealed this to be from a trade partner...one of the  Boys of Summer.  Michael  Orange and Black Wax Kaiser began blogging during the 2014 season and mysteriously disappeared as soon as his team won the Series.  Back like Spring Training, Mike is stuck in the 80's.  Perhaps you can drop by his blog and call him back to reality.


Wow! Perfect!  I need the bubble-wrap right now!  All those bubbles to protect this fabulous original artwork by Kaiser the Great!  A very awesome sketch of Paws with Lou Seal, the Giants mascot. Lou Seal is a call back to the minor league San Francisco Seals, 1903-1957.  His head weighs 25 pounds!


 While the box wasn't 25 pounds, it wasn't feather weight either.  I dug a bit more and found this:


 Mike thought he'd collect bobbleheads but decided they take up a lot of space, are expensive and most likenesses aren't very good!  A probable Chinese Heritage Night giveaway, Paws did not defect his team.  I will proudly display this next to my only other bobbleheads: Rowdy Redhawk and the Grinch, both packed or a picture would be shared.


Gavin and Mike, thank you!  2001 Archives are great looking additions to my collection, and the Asian Tiger...he can be tamed.
 

20 comments:

  1. Great packages! To me, that's what Archives should be. Not throwing Edwin Encarnacion on a 1989 design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Topps has lost their way with Archives.

      Delete
  2. Love that Norm Cash card. Anything from Topps Retired Signature is terrific. Best of luck on the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Nick! Retired Signature is new to me and must be investigated.

      Delete
  3. Glad you liked the cards and thanks for the trade! And yeah, good luck with your relocation. That's always tough, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the luck! It's a BIG move to a very serene location. Hope to find more cards for you and trade again.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your move, and those 2004 Topps Retired are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony! Gavin sent some goodies for sure!

      Delete
  5. Just think of all the Tiger games you can go too now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I do Matt, I do! and those I can't get to will be beamed right to the big screen in front of the big comfy chair!

      Delete
  6. Wasn't the Boys of Summer a book about the Brooklyn Dodgers? You're pushing it, Owens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to track down the 66 leader card for my Tony C collection. Have the original but that would look nice next to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are really quality cards. thick and shiny! I'm sure you'll find it!

      Delete
  8. Thank you Steve! Look forward to trading with you again this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sketch and bobble are awesome. The Topps Archives microscopic card numbers are not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so agree. should come with a little magnifying scope.

      Delete
  10. Julie, could u shoot me an email at your convenience. Lifebythedrop79 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete