Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

That 70's Hoyle

Mark Hoyle is a good friend to many card collecting bloggers.  He contributes through commentary and trades but is not yet, and may never be, a blogger.  Blogging takes time, and who ever has enough?  Even now, I'm three posts behind sharing all the superb cards recently received.  (I'm posting in order though, and you're next.)  
 
Mark sent nothing but Tigers!  How could he have known? There are no clues anywhere, on any of my posts or pages.
 
                                                             1974 Topps                              1973 Topps
       Mike Heath on a lemon-flavored 1990 Classic       Nokes 88 Fleer
                                                      93 Triple Play Tettleton             Hernandez, 89 (yawn) Fleer

I've been stuck in the 70s for a while now. I live in some weird time continuum, leaving the decade just long enough to work.  I can't wait to rush home through my beaded entryway and turn on the Bee Gees. Thank God for ME TV!  The Bionic Man, Emergency, Charlie's Angels.  There's always a good VHS movie at hand too!  Couldn't tell you how many times I've watched Jaws and Grease! The 70s were like any other decade with its own troubles - Vietnam, Watergate and ended as the Iranian Hostage Crisis began.  There were good times too! PONG video game thrilled us for hours on end. The first Star Trek Convention was held in NYC. The cost of a first-class stamp was 8 cents!

                                                           GLORIOUS!                 1972 TOPPS

In 1972, we lost Jackie Robinson and Roberto Clemente. Among the HOF inductees were Yogi Berra, Early Wynn, Sandy Koufax, Josh Gibson and Buck Leonard.  Hank Aaron became the first baseball player to sign for $200,000 a year.  Tigers shortstop Ed Brinkman played an errorless streak of 72 games with 331 total chances.  The Oakland As won the championship.

In 1972, I was an innocent 8 year old discovering music.  As I recall, my favorite song that year was Brand New Key by Melanie.  (I was eight!)  What I knew about baseball were the Reds and Pete Rose.  For some reason known only to God, I had a crush on Pete.  This was a good year in my young life.

                                                                    Billy, don't be a hero

Mark, thank you for the mini-trip.  I so appreciate these cards and love adding them to my collection!




16 comments:

  1. The '72 Billy Martins are a couple of the best manager cards ever made. Arguing on the "In Action" one and slyly flipping the bird with his left hand on the other. Pure Billy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billy never had a dull moment! The bird is classic!

      Delete
  2. it so happens that I got a vintage package from Mr Hoyle yesterday. I'm still doing cartwheels in the fresh autumn grass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cartwheels? That is some serious joy! Mark is a great trader!

      Delete
  3. I love the old traded cards. They leave little doubt that the player has switched teams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes true, and sometimes these are the saddest cards to own.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Nick -- that 1972 Martin "In Action" should have been replicated in 1982 with Martin getting an In Action card of him throwing a base or kicking dirt on an umpire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shouldn't have been to hard to find a good shot of Billy in mid-tantrum. He provided ample opportunity!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the trade. Glad the cards brought you back in time. If I did my math right I think I'm one year older than you. I remember the Melanie song well. Emergency was always a must see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! Hope to trade with you again. I have another batch started for you. At times I do wish I'd discovered cards in those days. I'd only be upset with myself now for not taking better care of them.

      Delete
  6. You like Tigers? REALLY? Wow.....I must be in the wrong section of the blog and haven't noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I need to work on the background design a bit. Perhaps that would result in more Tiger trades. Thanks for reading! Sent you an email.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes indeed! Vintage loves vintage (or vice versa!)

      Delete
  8. I think I can dig out some Tigers for you. I don't know if you collect game used and autographed, but I want to send over some nice Tiger cards! you can email me at

    Frankie13.Massa@gmail.com

    and i'll get back to you with a list. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankie13.Massa@gmail.com

      there is a 13 after Frankie
      whoops

      Delete