Pages

Sunday, October 8, 2017

He's Pretty Good!

Did you file a tax extension?  I work for a large accounting firm whose clients mostly extend.  I've had time to sneek peaks at Twitter  {how did I manage w/o Twitter?}  and read a few of your posts during some down time.  After spending endless daytime hours {are daytime hours endless?} on a computer, posting hasn't been a top priority.  Going to bed early has won out every time!  The final deadline looms with Oct 16th.  Quality time on the blogs is just around the corner!

The Tigers' 2017 season was over months ago.  I am still a fan {it's too much trouble to redesign the blog} but do follow the Astros heavily.  Altuve has been one of my favorite players in the game since I returned to the hobby in 2012.  He had a lot to do with it actually.   Altuve - smiling, joking and playing to win - made collecting a worthy and fun endeavor once more.  

I learned a painful lesson in the 90s with prospecting.  Not once did I get it right. Here are just a few examples:






For each of these cards there were nearly all possible variations stored away in a closet - refractors, autographs, parallels - all waiting for the pay-off.  These players alone filled a 1000 count box. Ouch. All are still waiting but not in my collection.  During my summer clean up, most went to the Salvation Army along with dupes and commons. 

In 2012, Altuve became the one to build my new collection around.  Other young players I enjoy by keeping cards pulled or received in trades.  A smiling Altuve drove me to ebay and COMC.  I began picking up his first cards rather inexpensively.  I don't recall ever spending more than $6-10 for any higher end cards.  There are more limited versions of his rookies but I'm happy with what I own.  If I were to begin collecting today, most Altuve RCs would already be out of my price range. 

While working to organize his cards, I put the rookies together and found these pleasant surprises:

2010 Lexington Legends, several versions of 2011 Bowman
2011 Topps base, cognac    2011 Bowman Sterling base, refractor

2010 Bowman Chrome - base, purple and X
Since 2012, I've amassed several hundred Altuves including autos, fancy patches and cards #'d to ten, five and one.  None of these cards were purchased with any thought given to future value.  This is what makes the hobby work for me.   It doesn't hurt however, that Altuve is pretty good!



19 comments:

  1. Impressive selection of Altuve cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Heinzy! I once said to a friend "I would own ALL the ALtuve cards" I had no intentions of sharing. It only lasted a couple of days but I gave it a valiant effort!

      Delete
  2. Didn't notice how much Altuve's cards have taken off until I checked Ebay on a whim recently. Even his base Topps rookie will run you north of $20 (though I somehow managed to find a copy from a guy at my flea market for 20 cents last month, steal!). He's quickly become one of my favorite guys to collect these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have tucked a card into our next trade package but you are doing so well with loose change pick-ups I almost feel like you don't need me anymore! ;) Great deal for .25!

      Delete
  3. Sweet collection! I've had a lot of fun collecting Altuve too (although I only started a few years ago).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only five years for me and can't imagine what my Altuve collection will look like in just a few more years!

      Delete
  4. I love that the two best position players in the AL this year were Altuve and Judge. This is why baseball is great. You have the start of a wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! It's been a fun year to watch OTHER teams!

      Delete
  5. That's a fabulous Altuve PC Julie! Hey, I replied to your last comment at Now and Zen, but I'm not sure if you saw it. An awesome bunch of cards from you arrived, and the cards are making plentiful additions to my collection. Thank you!!! Some are sure to be part of future blog posts. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did see your reply but will comment here - YW! :) hope you can use most of them!

      Delete
  6. Great collection. He definitely is a fun guy to root for and collect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes he is. I plan to show more of my low-numbered cards and auto in future posts.

      Delete
  7. Nice stuff! You could had donated that 90's stuff to me lol. I love that stuff!

    But I as well gave up prospecting years ago. I came to realize how bad I was at it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love sending my rejects around the blogs, I wouldn't dump a hundred Bowman Martinez cards on anyone!

      Delete
  8. That congac Parallel is a true chase card with the likelihood being Altuve will take home the AL MVP & you can live vicariously through Verlander while he Helps the 'Stros get to the World Series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid MVP will likely go to Judge. It's great to see Verlander pitching so well. Make s difference in his confidence I'm sure, to have a team behind him.

      Delete
  9. Sadly, I'm not much good at prospecting either. There may be "gold in them thar cards" but there's still not much lining my pockets. Instead, I go about it backwards and end up buying cards when they've already gone up in price! (btw I LOVE that commercial with Altuve selling hot dogs!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, with the Tigers tanking you can get some great deals right - a little fool's gold perhaps. Heh. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete