Pages

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Birthday Cards - from Kids and Pirates

My birthday is rapidly approaching, just days away.  I've never been one to celebrate biggly but friends got together this past week to bless me with their company - along with Bumpy cake and a few gifts. My favorite quads were there with cards made especially for me.  I have to share my favorite. This little 8 year old boy loves baseball and is into card collecting.  [I like to take a little credit for this!]  But more than that, he loves ME!




This was a good surprise indeed, and very clever.  He included a few picked from his collection and placed in a special pocket made within the card.

My many gifts included two hats - Tigers and Astros:


and a couple of good books:



I'm looking forward to Macho Row in particular.  1993 was the year I fell in love with the game for good, thanks to this team!  It didn't hurt that Darren Daulton was a prominent feature behind the plate. 

Yesterday, the postman delivered another package which nearly blew me away, literally.  During my temporary trade ban, incoming packages have been few.  This has allowed much needed time to organize my cards.  I still can't say how many dupes I have or what cards are needed for sets but all my thousands of cards are officially sorted by either player, set or binder mini-collections.   


In April, Matt found himself at Target, staring down new GQ blaster boxes.  He wasted zero time picking the right box, something I can't pull off.  After reading his post, and hearing elsewhere these retail blasters were loaded, I tried my luck.  Failing miserably, I then purchased two hobby boxes and failed again.  Matt had that old blaster magic.  From the same box, he pulled an auto and a 1/1 - both Tigers.  YNWV???   Why in West Virginia?   Hello Topps - over here!  Michigan!

Matt held onto these cards until this past week.  He did not know my birthday was only days away. He does know that I'll do my very best to put a great package together for him as soon as I am able. So imagine my surprise upon opening a package from this man:






The very cards he pulled in April!  Jaw-dropping!  How he felt I deserved these beauties I will never know.  I am humbled and nearly hysterical!  Numbered out of 35, an auto from the 2016 ROY Michael Fulmer...AND  a 1/1???  J.D. Martinez is becoming one of the hottest players in the game.  I've collected his cards for five years now.  This is beyond wild!  A true beauty!

We all know Matt!  And if you don't, you'd best get yourself acquainted with him!  He is generous and doesn't give a second thought to sending the rare pull to a trade pal. 

What more can I say?  Thank you Matt!

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He is indeed, among an elite group of traders which includes you!

      Delete
  2. Buy a lottery ticket, you're on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, and what a great package! Love that Fulmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Trevor! it's a beautiful auto! I like the GQ design this year.

      Delete
  4. Great additions! Happy early bday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! As neat as the cards that Matt sent to you are, the handmade card really can't be topped.

    And for what it's worth, I thought "Fall From Grace" was a pretty good book. Mr. Hornbaker was actually able to add a little something new to a subject that has been covered ad nauseam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my bday card on display along with the three remaining "quads". I love those kids! I haven't yet read a book on Joe Jackson so am looking forward to this summer time read! Thanks for the recommendation and for commenting! :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday! Glad the cards found a good home. Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, you are truly generous! Every time I look at these cards, i still CANNOT believe they are mine!

      Delete
  7. What a cool and generous dude! Happy Birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the wishes! Yes indeed, he is way cool and uber generous. If you should pull a nice Pirate, Matt would be someone to give it a great home!

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday! Those are awesome cards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! Great stuff! Matt spoiled you for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i have become quite spoiled around the blogs indeed! you guys take great care of me!

      Delete
  10. Wow. Nice 1/1 from Matt. Almost as cool as that custom birthday card. Happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always hoping to pull something like that to share with one of you, maybe my luck is changing! The custom is as much as 1/1 as any card could be and I love it! thanks Fuji!

      Delete
  11. Oh Happy Day! I too have Quads, and they are my favorite. They recently turned 18!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parents of my little friends are amazing. Children don’t come with a book of instructions. I know you are a proud Dad! Happy belated Father’s Day!

      Delete