Pages

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Boxes, Binders and Trades...

A new week!  One free of any tax deadlines!  I usually go into hiding during those last two weeks around the filing day.  Now I can press onward with purging and sorting, enjoying the hobby at least til Mid-August.   I took a break from unboxing to clean a little more from the study closet - broke the wrap on and dismantled a 2002 Topps Factory set, keeping maybe 50 cards.  The rest are up for adoption.  Cards like Griffey, Thomas and Bonds are still in the box.   



  [Well minus one.  It was lost in a fire.]
I also found a couple of Studio Boxes from the 90s.  The cards are probably stuck together by now but duty prevails.  I'll have these opened by the end of the week, hoping to pull a Heritage Collection insert or two.
94 Studio Heritage Collection
I came across a binder for 1998 Leaf Rookies and Stars.  I loved this release at the time for the full bleed shots and inserts.  While packing up for the Michigan move in 2015, I looked the binder over but wasn't ready to let go of it.  I had 195 cards all paged with slots empty, waiting for those that never made the binder.  I will never complete this set, one with too many sp rookie cards, mostly players with rather brief careers.  I sorted through these and chose ten cards to keep. That leaves a stack of cards for trading, possibly a few for the next discard giveaway which is just around the corner.

KEEPERS

KEEPERS


Binder Mates, say goodbye to Paulie and the boys.

I want to acknowledge more trades,  received only a few months ago. Only.   A.J of  The Lost Collector sent a nice lot of cards.  My favorite of the group is the Marquee Ty Cobb from 2011.  I like these cards and missed out on the release, a bit like a high end version of Stadium Club with four cards to a  box.  I'll take a Marquee in trade any day!



Douglas Corti - Sportscards from the Dollar Store sent a nice group of paper Tigers:





Douglas included a GQ relic and Bowman auto but I have to say, my favorites are the Sportsdisc and 1989 Schedule. Awesomeness right there!

Cards on Cards' Kerry Biggs sent a batch of 100 or so.  An assortment of Poseys,  Miggy refractor/99, GQ framed Tigers, and Heritage Rainbow Foil Kinsler were among the highlights. Hard to choose a favorite among these cards.



Thanks guys for the fantastic surprises.  Now that I'm sorting and arranging binders, these cards will be enjoyed all the more!   I have just a few more trades to share before lifting the ban. More discards will be given away.   Anyone out there collect back issues of Beckett???

12 comments:

  1. I've always enjoyed sorting and organizing when given time to do so. I'm finally getting done with about a 12 inch stack of cards received in trade. Which means I'm ready for more! I used to save magazines but found they took up too much space. Fun to look through the old ones though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll spare you during the Beckett Bombardment. Hate to throw them away but will recycle them if need be. Sorting brings much contentment, and sometimes a sore neck and thumb. oh, and I def have Angels for you!!!

      Delete
  2. That Leaf Rookies and Stars set was so desirable when it came out. I remember people going crazy over the Troy Glaus and JD Drew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad i didnt spend the money to complete the set back then!!!

      Delete
  3. Burn Alex burn! 1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars was such a great set. I only could afford a handful of packs back in the day, but I always enjoyed the design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in the country and enjoy a good bonfire. Yeah those packs became expensive quickly. I bought a box for less than $100 and prices shot thru the ceiling afterwards.

      Delete
  4. Nice group from Mr Biggs. I have a little Beavis in me too. (that doesn't sound right at all.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2002 Topps cards stick together something awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they weren't too badly stuck, surprisingly. Now I just need to unload them, probably on the Salvation Army.

      Delete