Pages

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Mighty Quinn

I'm blessed with great trading pals and don't always feel deserving of the awesomeness that arrives in mailers and boxes.  Does this mean I feel deserving at times??  Why certainly, at least around the holidays.  

Quinn has been sending packages with great regularity, easily identified among other items in the mailbox.  They've been covered in small 'fatheads' and glow star stickers but on this occasion, the mailer was plain. The contents held another package containing a unique box topper, truly one of the highlights of this trade. 



Underneath was yet another box which at first glance I thought might be a happy meal.



No - it's taffy!  Except it wasn't taffy.  {Where do you find these boxes Quinn?} Right on top were a couple of graded 90s Pudge:


Along with a couple of homemade fat packs hitting up my player collections.  Here's a sampling of these paper goods:

Two of my favorite Yankees.

Altuve, Posey and Scherzer.  


Cards with interchangeable player heads!  Finally, something new and refreshing from Topps!  I gave Marichal a little makeover.



I'm among the crowd happy for Ivan's election to the Hall and was fortunate to attend many of his games in Arlington.   I find it somewhat odd that he and my all time favorite catcher Daulton, both won their only rings with the Marlins.  Obviously Pudge had the better career.  He is currently the all time leader in putouts as a catcher. 

Quinn included Topps Tek for Pudge, Miggy and Fulmer.   These are super cards to find within a trade.  I'll never purchase them. Lots on ebay aren't cheap either.  It takes special kind of insanity to assemble this set with its variations from hell-o!   Fess up  - how many of you are that crazy?

Fulmer in high-numbered black attire.

As much as I liked GQ base this year, the green parallels are even sweeter.  Old Ty is numbered/99

Q has taken to finding new Piazzas for my growing hoard.  I do have a couple of these.  The 93 Ultra will move to my catcher collection.  93 Donruss starts my new mini-collection of floating bats.  I can't resist this urge any longer.  There is something magical within a photo that captures a bat suspended mid-air. 





In all, there were 25 different Piazzas.  I mentioned the box-topper only to save it for last.  This card is gorgeous and all mine! 


1997 Score Reserve Collection #501 Mike Piazza GY Artist Proof

I had a good time going through this package.  Every time I see Quinn in the return address, my thoughts always go to the classic Manfred Mann recording of the Bob Dylan song...

 
                                              

12 comments:

  1. Very nice packet you've got there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interchangeable heads made me laugh! The Tek cards are cool looking, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm a little cracked, as you may have noticed. ;)

      Delete
  3. That Piazza looks amazing! Love the 90s inserts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! there was a LOT of cool stuff in the 90s. I'm just now catching up to it!

      Delete
  4. Ugh...I have no favorite Yankees...although my mom does. Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i like the dead ones. Jeter being the exception. ;)

      Delete
  5. That pair of Ultra Piazzas are fantastic. Great action shots... and well cropped.

    P.S. Awesome song. Haven't heard Manfred Mann in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture on the reverse of the Piazza Artist's Proof is remarkable as well. Robert Zimmerman (Bob Dylan) is an all time legend in my book, glad to be associated with a righteous hit like the Mighty Quinn and this Blog is certainly "my cup of meat!"
    Anyone interested in trading, I super collect Alex Gordon and collect a few dozen sets/parallel sets & players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks much for the cards! I'm packing up a box for you this weekend. This will deplete me of goods for you for sometime. Hope you enjoy them! I hope too, others take advantage of trading with you! They will not be disappointed!

      Delete