Pages

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

A Random Thought

My power has been up for nine days now and one of four heavy deadlines at the office [March 15] has passed.  There is now time to enjoy the blogs for a couple of weeks then April 15th steals my fun for a couple more.

In lieu of blogging this weekend, I took time to tackle another box, fishing for more discards to share. [I was tired of sitting in front of a computer screen.]



It contained a random assortment of cards packed before I moved in June 2015.   The 1000 count box is not 94 Pinnacle.  I haven't gone through it completely but largely contains refractors, numbered cards and relics I picked up for trading.  The paper bag contains sleeved singles picked up from my last card show in Dallas 2015.  I'll share some of these next time.  Hey - there's my Jack in the Box Antenna Ball! Wondered where that went...

There were two boxes of:

Seals were broken for the autos: Jose Abreu #/50 and Jorge Soler RC #/10, both tucked away in another undiscovered location.  The sets are complete.  I'm contemplating breaking one up for trades.

A box of 1993 Action Packed All Star Gallery purchased for the the HOF and retired player content :




A sealed CD which some Cubbie Fan out there might enjoy.  It contains the catchy song we heard so often during the Series - Go Cubs Go.



Also buried in this treasure box - an unopened box of 94 Fleer Extra Bases, oversized cards with a clean full bleed design.  I still like them.  Let's crack a pack:


Molitor for me and trades for you.


I'll keep the Bagwell and Nokes too. Looking forward to opening the rest next weekend.

The title of this post promised a random thought. So here it is...comments are rewarding.  Thank you for taking time to check out Cracked Bat.  All Bloggers appreciate readers!  I love giving stuff away and prefer not to ask anyone to 'pimp' the blog.  I certainly wouldn't stop you though.  ;)   In an effort to reward my regular readers, contest notices won't be placed in the post titles but within the post itself.  

I found your petitions to the Randomizer in my last post most entertaining.  It is time to award the first 400 count box of my discards.   I presented the list before the Randomizer which chose to cycle three times before spewing forth a name.  One quite new to me made the top spot...


Congrats Jason!  Email acrackedbat at gmail dot com with your mailing address.   Thanks to all who entered.  We'll do this again very soon as my discard pile is growing rapidly!  Thanks for your patience - and thanks for reading!

29 comments:

  1. I got that CD as a Christmas gift many moons ago and played it 'til wore out. Thank goodness for digital ripping! Anyway, seeing that cover was a nice blast from the past - so, thanks for showing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew Cubbie fans would enjoy seeing the disc. It will need a home soon.

      Delete
  2. So I see the Cubbie CD is "Volume One"....is that optimistic on their part or is there really a "Volume Two"?? I still love to sing my Tigers '68 theme song, "We're all behind our baseball team, Go Get 'Em Tigers..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't know if there is a Vol Two. My internet research only shows Chicago's Greatest Hits Vol 2 which contains two of my fave songs Old Days and Alive Again. Perhaps the Tigers need an updated song which would encourage them to take a WS trophy!

      Delete
  3. I love that Action Packed set. I've been building it and using it to get autographs of the living players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool project! I would wonder about the surface of these cards holding up to the pen or sharpie. Very neat idea.

      Delete
  4. Those action packed cards are pretty cool, but then again, I like just about anything with the all-time greats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too. im a sucker for any product which consists mostly of old-timers!

      Delete
  5. Feel free to ship off any unwanted Reds (and Indians for that matter) over to me if you need a good home for them! Those boxes look like an absolute treasure trove of fun to go through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, I never knew you like the Indians too. I'll keep that in mind! :)

      Delete
  6. "It contains the catchy song we heard so often during the Series - Go Cubs Go."

    F*%# THAT SONG!!!! Seriously, I will frigging puke the first week of April for all the times the damn TV stations will be playing it in regard to opening day. Face facts, Cubs fans, that song is total shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love seeing you all worked up. Keeps the circulation healthy!

      Delete
  7. 90s cards ! Even cooler when oversized. Great treasure box, and glad to hear you got some power back !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. extra bases - need the Jays?? they will be making the blog rounds once im up and trading.

      Delete
  8. Very cool finds from your expedition into the valley of cardboard boxes. Congrats to Jason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is so much more to be re-discovered! love sharing the spoils on the blog.

      Delete
  9. I love that oversized Deion Sanders card. Glad you are getting some down time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have to hold out through April 18th, then i can make a real dent in the unpacking and sorting. I want to be trading again this summer.

      Delete
  10. Those "Extra Bases" cards are crazy. I have two of them, and I'm at a loss as to how to store them, to be honest.

    That said, if you run across any Brewers in those, let me know...I'm finally back from the depths of my own ocean of work for a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I double sleeve them and place them side down in the boxes. That seems to work ok. You betcha the Brewers will make their way to your mailbox when I'm back in regular trade mode. I have a few nice cards for you that missed the package I mailed in January. :)

      Delete
  11. I have a package ready to ship, with some Blackhawks, Tigers, & Piazza's,if your accepting cards again? Would love a crack at some of those '51 mini's when you decide their fate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - yep I'm on the fence about the cards but if I decide to share them around, it will be posted on the blog. hope there were a few good cards in the package i sent you in January. thanks for thinking of me. I'm not quite ready for full on trade mode yet.

      Delete
    2. The museum collection cards 🃏 were a godsend, thanks for so many quality cards. I'm glad to here you're back on the grid connected with the rest of civilization and able to enjoy some downtime. In regards to my original query about the cards you sent, many moons ago, turns out my wife mistook you for another Julie from my past and hid that package. When I explained that you were a woman living in Michigan whom I'd never physically encountered the cards miraculously surfaced. I'm headed to the post office in the afternoon and will be sending a customized Robby Box your way, with no expectation of a return. However if you do decide to let a few of those minis go maybe we can work a deal out over on KIR?

      Delete
    3. Perhaps trading isn’t the best idea? I certainly don’t want to be in the middle of any trouble!!! I’m surprised she didn’t open and inspect the package, or just dispose of it altogether! That said, I did receive the mailer. You sent a lot of really nice cards, thank you! Very generous of you. I’ll post on the blog if I decide to trade the 51’s and do prefer to trade here once my trade ban is lifted. I’ve never traded on KIR and have no plans to do so.

      Delete
  12. Six pocket sheets for the Extra Bases. I can send single sheets or a handful to those that need them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, and I still need a couple singles and some inserts to finish my set. Have extras to trade.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the offer! I could probably use 3 or 4 pages. I haven’t had a chance to open the cards but will definitely be trading them around. Feel free to email your set needs to me. I can set some cards aside for you while I’m going through the packs- acrackedbat at gmail dot com.

      Delete
  13. Awesome variety! I spy a 1972 Kellogg's All-Time Baseball Greats Mickey Cochrane in that bag. Is there a complete set in there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a set I'm working to complete for sure! Love that Cochrane!

      Delete